Thread: lathe stand

lathe stand

heres a few pics of the my current project of building a more solid lathe stand.

Built for scrap lumber lying around at the rear of my shop, all glued and screwed construction. Centre height for the lathe will 4' and the bed length is 40". So its a bit higher than I normally have but the previous stand was too low and very flimsy...might have got carried away on the construction this time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    neil

The wooden Potter

Neil that looks pretty good and looks really stout. Rather have it that way and overbuilt. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks pretty good to me Neil! Much rather have it slightly over-built and be able to take some abuse than have it flex under load! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Looks good and sturdy.

Any plans to paint it yellow

The lumber, if it wasn't being used, has been put to use in the best possible way...

It's not overbuilt, it's just engineered for catastrophic events.

I like the new stand! I wonder... is that the lathe ways (in the last pic) that it was built for?
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I like the new stand! I wonder... is that the lathe ways (in the last pic) that it was built for?
    AL, you dont miss much yep I just dropped it on to drill out the bolt holes. The lathe is an el cheapo MC1100. But I am doing up the stand for a buddy of mine. When its done I will be giving it to him.

The centre height for the chuck will be 4' a bit higher than average. But it suits me and next owner is taller than me so it should be ok for him as well

Painting will come shortly, just gotta rustle up some paint for the back of the shop
    neil

The wooden Potter