Thread: Squat / Power rack

Squat / Power rack

This is not exactly fine woodworking ... but just as important!

Before we get started on the "a wood squat rack is very unsafe and can't hold enough weight" discussion, let me say that I got this plan off the web. It has been done by many before me, and it is capable of holding more weight than I will ever be able to lift.

As you can see, I added a lat pull down to it. This thing is really cool and rock solid.

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice! looks a bit narrow, around 36-40"?

Great job Ray,

Your rack will be plenty strong. I built a similar design back in the 80's when I was into bodybuilding. It worked great for those days when I didn't want to make the drive to the gym. With it and a few other pieces I built, I could still get a decent workout at home.

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to pick a used Smith Machine at auction for $150. The machine was several years old but still functioned just fine. With the cost of a comparable new one at $1300, I think I made a heck of a deal.

Leo

The bar that Ray has on the rack looks to be a standard Olympic bar, if the rack were any wider the supports that the bar sits on would be too far out for the bar to fit on it properly.

width

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Zick View Post
    nice! looks a bit narrow, around 36-40"?
    It is 49 inches wide ... just right for an olympic bar.

Paul,

That sounds like a great deal. By the time all is said and done on building mine, I probably would have been better off ($ wise) waiting and getting a power rack off Craigslist. But, hey, I wouldn't have ben able to spend a day and a half shaping wood!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    It is 49 inches wide ... just right for an olympic bar.
    the insides? nice. it doesnt look like it.

most racks are too narrow for a good wide stance squat.

make good use!

Brings back some memories. The first woodworking project I tackled in high school was a weight bench for bench pressing. 2 X 4's, some foam and a piece of vinyl for the seat. Used it for years with no problems. Must have been my start into the woodbutcher I turned out to be.
    Nice project.

Ray, What did you use for pins? I was thinking of welding something up but your idea may be easier.

Tim

For the weight rests: I used 3/4" galvanized pipe with a pipe cap on one end and a pipe flange on the end. I like the pipe flange, because, unlike an elbow, it doesn't matter which way it turns.

If you mean the loading pin: I used 1 1/4 in. galvanized pipe with a T on the top and a flange on the bottom. I bought some Loctite that I am going to use on the flange so that it doesn't loosen with use. I can just unscrew the top to change the weight.

Did I answer your question?

Thanks Ray

Nice job - that thing is not going anywhere and wll definitely hold enough weight. I am going to bookmark this one for future reference. There are definitely days when I can't make it to the gym and this might just be the ticket.

on the inside it is about 44 inches. It is wide enough for me to do squats, but I guess it could be tight for someone who is really big.

You were right. The inside is only about 40 inches. I find it wide enough for my squats, but I can see that someone might want to make it a few inches wider. It can go as wide as the outer edge of the olympic bar collars.