Thread: Keyless chuck for cordless drill?

Keyless chuck for cordless drill?

I just purchased the Makita combo kit (10.8V Li-On batteries) which comes with a drill and an impact driver. I would like to get a keyless chuck for the drill so that I can use "regular" round drill bits -- I have a lot of them. I've looked around and can't find any Makitas. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mostly, drills use the same spindle size

The manufacturers settled some years back on standard spindle sizes for portable drill motors: 3/8"-24 (threads per inch) for 1/4" and almost all 3/8" chucks, 1/2"-20 for heavy duty 3/8" chucks and 1/2" chucks.

I'm not familiar with the particular model you mention, but, if you can remove the chuck on it, you should find that spindle (you can check with a fine thread 3/8" nut from the hardware store). Typically, there's a screw in the center of the chuck, accessible when the jaws are opened completely, that removes opposite the usual direction because it has lefthand threads; and you can then remove the chuck by chucking up a 1/4" or 3/8" hex-type wrench ("Allen wrench") in the jaws, and striking that sharply with a small hammer in the direction that will unscrew the chuck (conventional threads, so right-tight, left-loose). All this assumes, though, a chuck - if the drill comes with a hex-socket, it may be integral to the spindle.

If it does have a threaded spindle in the conventional size, you should be able to find a chuck at any hardware store to fit.

If it has only a non-removable hex socket type chuck, you can find keyless chucks that have a male hex fitting on the back, but they may be limited in capacity.

Side note: I really don't like keyless chucks for round-shank bits. In spite of what you will hear manufacturers say, they just don't grip like the old keyed chucks, unless you buy a really really expensive one.

The drill/driver you purchased is set up for the quick change hex drive system, if you got it at a bargain price, you now need to spend the money you saved for a set of hex drive bits, or return it and get a regular drill with a regular keyed chuck. sorry.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I got one of these to use on my small driver, I don't use it a lot but it is nice when I need it. Most of the time I use my larger drill for drilling.

Home Depot has them.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/....aspx?ID=34188

Dewalt also makes a hex drive keyless chuck:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW0521-...bxgy_hi_text_b
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I guess I'll try HD and, when they can't find anything, go to mail order. Thanks for your help.