Thread: Photographs on Tile

Photographs on Tile

Good Morning All:
    I just got my laser on Friday and practiced all weekend. I really like doing the tile. I did a white tile and applied black paint over it and then wiped it off. It came out pretty good, but it seems to me, this approach is best suited to pen & ink type drawings rather than photos. Is there a way to get a really good quality photo on a tile?

Thanks in advace

Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Barbero View Post
    Is there a way to get a really good quality photo on a tile?
    Hi Carol,

Do a search here for Onur Cakir. He has done some amazing tiles. He also includes settings etc.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Carol,
    You can simply paint a white tile black, or a black tile white, and laser away. I recommend PhotoGrav to process your image, but there are ways to do it manually as well.

Gary

Painting a tile

Gary:
    I've seen posts about Ceramark. Will regular acrylic paint works as well?
    Carol Barbero (Newbie)
    Epilog Mini 18, 30 Watt

Photographs on Tile

Here's a sample of photos on common HD ceramic tiles $.16 each for a 4.25" sq tile craft acrylic for fill. The one shown is from a new album I posted on http://www.PictureTrail.com/razaxnstuff with about 21 pics on tile including a few examples of 3D with a 35Watt Epilog (multiple passes) The attachment shows difference between one and two passes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ray, What technique do you use? What kind of paint?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

If you want to do tiles, bite the bullet and sublimate them. Full color, high resolution, last a long time. The tile needs to be coated with polyurethane... most engraving suppliers sell them along with coffee cups, etc. Once you have the heat press and the ink, it is very cheap!

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

In post 4 of this thread I posted pictures of Sublimated Color Tiles. A Quilt Picture on a Quilt Rack.

AL

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110451

1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Barbero View Post
    Gary:
    I've seen posts about Ceramark. Will regular acrylic paint works as well?
    Cermark is available for glass and ceramic but in limited colors. Acrylic paint works fine, that's what I have used as well as enamel and laquer. Nothing sticks really well to ceramic, these are more for practice than anything.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post
    If you want to do tiles, bite the bullet and sublimate them.
    Do you print on #20 paper with an ink jet printer using regular ink and then sublimate that?
    George

Photographs on Tile

Hi Tim - looks like this thread is going off on a tangent. I don't know what you mean by technique. I just process my photos as best I can in Photopaint using my very limited experience, and then run it thru Photgrav. Machine settings are a crap shoot. Every machine is different. Ceramic tile is pretty consistent with the brand I get from HD. I have an Epilog 35W and have pretty much settled on 40 Speed and 100 power and vary the dpi according to the graphic. 600 dpi will give you darker area that will appear blotchy on some stuff, but you might not want that on a photo. You just have to use your best guess. At $.16 per tile it's cheap enough to experiment. You can get several samples on one tile. To get a decent color fill, you have to get through the surface glaze. So 2 passes at 40 speed allows decent fill, but you've used 12 to 15 minutes laser time. Is it worth it?? For fill, the easiest I've found is crafts acrylic. Put on a couple drops and smear it around and rub it in, then wipe clean. I suppose if someone had the talent and the inclination, multiple colors could be used. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post
    If you want to do tiles, bite the bullet and sublimate them. Full color, high resolution, last a long time. The tile needs to be coated with polyurethane... most engraving suppliers sell them along with coffee cups, etc. Once you have the heat press and the ink, it is very cheap!

Mark
    I sell laser tiles twice expensive than sublimation tiles but architechs prefers lasertile more than subl. tiles.

I think lasertile looks much more elegant than sublimation tiles.
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.