Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has their Dust Collector on Wheels?

Who has their Dust Collector on Wheels?

I am not getting the draw that I need on my TS, so I thinking this weekend that I need to scrap the duct work i laid and just roll my DC up to the machine and use a short flex hose. I think this will make a big difference. I can also use it on my planer and bandsaw.

Is this a fairly common practice? Its a HF DC and does a pretty decent job. I have a Grizzley filter bag that improved it all the more.

Tom

I have a Delta 50-760 that plug and unplug from tools a-la-carte. It works great.

For a tsaw, though, you really need above table collection if yr serious about dc.

I bought a Jet 220V collector out of the paper and two Delta's when Lowes was clearing them out. All are on wheels. My plan is to run the Jet to collect for the planner and table saw, one Delta to roll around for servicing the Shopsmith and misc tools and one Delta to service my wife's lathe. I'm thinking the space and cost to do centralized dust collection is better spent on wiring and lighting. Planning on putting together Phil Thien sperators for the deltas and maybe building a cyclone for the Jet.

Thumbs up

This is the Delta unit I have and while it does have wheels I generally sits on the corner hooked up to the entire system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have a Delta on wheels but it sits pretty still. How long are your runs, what are they made of and where are they gated? Before my Delta got dedicated to jointer/planer duty, it served my whole gara . . . er, shop.

I ran a 4' hose to a manifold of sorts made out of hard plastic Wyes and blast gates. Each run to a machine was gated as close to the DC as I could to keep any unused hose from being in play. This worked good enough for a number of years. As my tools got bigger and due to their size, farther away from the DC, my performance went down. I finally fell back and regrouped but for along time, it was OK as long as there wasn't a lot of unused hose hanging off of it and gated at the machine end.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hope you don't mind me querying in this thread ;-)

I'm in the market for a dustcollector and since we're discussing the ones with wheels I figured I'd ask how stable they are when wheeling them around ?

I've seen a delta 50-720 at Lowes, but I found it super flexible. I could easily imagine it tip over when being used, why I'm starting to lean towards those that have the motor on the base it self (hoping that will make it more stable, like the powermatic 1791077CK).

Any recommendations ?

If you willing to add a few bucks to the overall cost take off the current casters and toss on some real ones like WC has on sale. It will just glide. Why the make the things so crappy on all of the brands to save a few bucks just baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wildt View Post
    Hope you don't mind me querying in this thread ;-)

I'm in the market for a dustcollector and since we're discussing the ones with wheels I figured I'd ask how stable they are when wheeling them around ?

I've seen a delta 50-720 at Lowes, but I found it super flexible. I could easily imagine it tip over when being used, why I'm starting to lean towards those that have the motor on the base it self (hoping that will make it more stable, like the powermatic 1791077CK).

Any recommendations ?
    Michael, I had the same concerns. After pushing samples of the Delta and Steel City dust collectors, I opted for the rigid "looking" Powermatic. The PM seemed to have more robust wheels too, but I wasn't able to locate one before I ordered. The unit is on order, hasn't arrived yet, so I await results.

Congrats with your purchase. Please do let me know how it works out when you get it.

I installed the OE wheels on my HF DC, wheeled it into the corner,and there it sits hooked up to the plumbing... Okay WAITING to be hooked up to the plumbing that is for now sitting there gathering dust. Been working on truck projects. Gotta get back to the wood shop...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have the cheap delta, and I never have any problems with it tipping. I usually move it ~6 feet at a time, so ymmv. I do find it nice when I have to lift it over something that is is lightweight.

weels and my dust collector choice

I have a Harbor freight two h.p. collector Ive fixed it on top of a trash can and a Phill Thein separator . Its used as a mobile and also connects to lines running through my two car garage. Four inch sewer lines not optimum but don't think 6 in. would due this actual (one h.p motor) justice. my pluming is on the floor and easily comes apart for stow away if necessary. The closest machines are a Super Shop table saw,and my chop saw with a very large hood which would work well if I had 6in. lines and more power. the furthest units are two band saws with the four inch cut outs to accommodate ducting. They are about thirty feet away and work well.
    I can still move my system around but new wheels would be worth the expense, especialy when particles get in the way. Ive spent about 130. bucks on elbows and forty feet of pipe and think it is well worth the time, ( this was necessary because I run the exhaust out side! ) would be better to have a true 2hp or perhaps three.
    that's what I think about my choice and the wheels due suck , not in a good way.
    Last edited by raul segura; 05-06-2009 at 9:01 PM.

I wonder if your issue has more to do with the duct layout and the duct sizing than the strength of the DC.

I have a delta 50-760 that was hooked up to the clear flex piping over my ceiling to my TS and it did a crappy job. then I replaced the 4 inch flex piping with a 6 inch metal trunk line, 5 inch drops to 4 inch reducers befor whatever limited flex piping I need to use. Boy, was there a HUGE difference.

Others can explain it better, but now I can get all of the shavings off of an 18 inch wide planer taking a 1/8th inch cut up and to the filter. I got tired of emptying the bag, so I made a pre-separator.

My point here is that you may very well have the right DC, just the wrong set up with ducting.

My Dust collector is on wheels. It looks just like this one: Todd's Dust Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    My Dust collector is on wheels. It looks just like this one: Todd's Dust Collector

Nice..............Are you happy with the performance of the Felder?

Regards, Rod.