Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has their Dust Collector on Wheels?

Yes, I am happy with it. I used to have an Oneida Cyclone, and that worked OK for a period of time. Then, I bought a 15" wide belt sander and it could not keep up. The internal cartridge needed cleaning way too often, and as messy as cleaning the cartridge was, I questioned why I even had a dust collector.

I needed more volume, wanted an easier maintenance program and could not handle more height with an 8' ceiling. The Felder fit he bill perfectly. I get 106 gallons of bag space (two 53 gallon bins), and a brush to clean the pleated filter from outside the machine. It's 3 phase & 5.5 HP. I would buy one again.

Todd

Thanks Todd, that's good information I'll file away for future use.........Rod.

I have the HF 2HP unit with the wheels that came with it. The only time that I move it is when I have to empty the bag, which isn't very often, thankfully. When I do move it, it's only a few feet for easier access to the bag.

Everything runs through a shop built separator made from a 50 gallon plastic barrel. I have some fairly long runs of 4" S&D for the main lines with the super flex black hose going to each machine. This unit does everything that I expect of a DC unit for my shop. The ONLY thing that goes into the bag are really fine dust particles. A lot of them and all of the heavier shavings stay in the barrel. One of these days I plan on adding a version of the Phil Thien baffle to the separator to see if that will eliminate even more dust going into the bag. Even without the baffle, the larger, taller barrel seems to serve my needs better than a trash can size separator. I don't know why, maybe it's because if the depth of it. I just know that it works!

The only things lacking are DC for hand held power tools and overhead DC for the table saw. I feel confident that the HF unit will handle that whenever I get around to installing those two missing areas of DC in my shop. The DC for the hand held tools; router, ROS, etc. are on the top of my priority list!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by tom holton View Post
    I am not getting the draw that I need on my TS, so I thinking this weekend that I need to scrap the duct work i laid and just roll my DC up to the machine and use a short flex hose. I think this will make a big difference.
    How Long is your run? What type of ducts? What type of TS?

The latest issue of Fine Woodworking had a very interesting article about improving your TS DC performance through sealing the TS cabinet better, and other such tweaks. They report very good results from that. You might want to have a look.

I have a 2HP import DC and I have about 8-10' of 4" PVC duct separating it from my TS. I think my TS draw is on the low side of Okay -- But i have a Contractor-style TS and I KNOW that I could do a lot more to seal up the cabinet to improve the suction.

best,
    ...art

ps: Todd, that is a monster!
    "It's Not About You."

I added the 1 micron bags to my HF DC on wheels. Works for me.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.