Thread: Granite Slab Veneer Press

Granite Slab Veneer Press

I searched around and tried to see if anyone had thought of this.

I have a granite/marble place down the street. They let me have the cutoffs from their projects. These are HEAVY, even if they are only about 3'x4' and 2" thick!!!

So, they are also quite flat - and heavy (I think I mentioned that!) For flat vaneer work, can't you use one as a press of sorts? Is it heavy enough or too heavy?
    Last edited by Dennis Lopeman; 05-04-2009 at 2:25 PM.

It sounds like a good idea to me, plus the price can't be beat. I'd surely try this if I had access to 3x4 cutoffs.

For veneering, heavy isn't very important. Veneer is so floppy that you can press it to the substrate with a few ounces of pressure. The trick is that you must apply that pressure everyplace. If you apply that pressure in one area -- say with a clamp -- but not in an area a couple inches away, the veneer is likely to bubble there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For veneering, heavy isn't very important. Veneer is so floppy that you can press it to the substrate with a few ounces of pressure. The trick is that you must apply that pressure everyplace. If you apply that pressure in one area -- say with a clamp -- but not in an area a couple inches away, the veneer is likely to bubble there.

Ahhhh - and a flat piece would be perfect for a granite slab weight, then. I'll have to try it someday.

I just thought of it today and then thought i should pose the question before I forgot!

I'm getting old and forgetful...

Uhhm... what were we talking about?

I'm not sure as I've never verneered anything, but I did use that method to glue small sheets of 1/4" cherry plywood back to back to make 1/2" panels for a blanket chest. It worked great. I actually glued 4 panels at a time. I used the granite and added weight using gallons of paint.

Bill

Maneuvering a 3'x4'x2" piece of granite into position on top of your layup in a timely fashion might be a bit of a trick, but if it's as flat as you say, and particularly if there's an equally flat surface below, this method should work fine. In general, though, I'm a big fan of vacuum veneering which basically guarantees the even pressure everywhere that Jamie mentions.

A few years ago we had to veneer a bunch of pecan panels. We set 6 or 8 panels between 4x8 mdf and put a unit of plywood on top and every available heavy item also. They came out all wrinkled and we had to sand them all off. We got a vacuum bag and they all came out perfect.
    If my calculations are correct (Leo will let me know), that slab weighs 370 pounds. Not the easiest to move. Also that comes out to .21 lbs./sq. in. at 2" thick. Not much.
    To equal the pressure of vacuum (assuming 14 lbs/sq. in.) That slab would have to weigh 24,192 lbs or 130 inches thick. The vacuum bag weighs 12 pounds plus the pump. Seems like the slab would work for a vacuum table anyway.

Paul,

I think trying to do multiple panels in one pressing had a lot to do with the undoing of that method, plus the weight on top probably didn't distribute itself evenly. But I agree that a vacuum bag is God's gift to veneerers.

Dennis,

I haven't worked with veneers (yet) but do work in a granite shop. We provide a variety of other products as well, and one is a product that requires two parts be held together with contact adhesive. We use granite "plates" as weights because the weight is distributed evenly. Just be sure you place the polished side down. We also build granite topped work tables for the cabinet shop at a local facility. They love them because the granite surface is smooth and relatively true.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra