Thread: D4 vs D4R

D4 vs D4R

Can anyone tell me what the differences in the Leigh jigs are? I found a D4 for fairly cheap and I'm wondering if it's worth it or just hold out for the D4R. I'm in no hurry, but would like to jump on it if it's worth it. Thanks in advance!

Looked right over the jig comparison tab on Leigh's website. Looks like it's pretty minimal. I'll have to call the guy and see if it's still available, and at a price I'm willing to pay.

I do believe there is no real difference. They both do the same things. The D4R does not have the adjustable guides on the front to mess with. It's milled into the metal. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my empty noggen. I have the D4 and it does what I need it to do.

Main difference is the cam clamps. Leigh Valley sells all the parts needed to upgrade a D4 to a D4R.

D4 - d4r

Casey ,

I had several of the D4's and it is a great dovetail jig . Leigh customer service is top shelf.

The changes in the D4R are in the manufacturing process to keep price of jig lower.

The D4R is made in more in one unit , this helps keep costs down .

If you would damage a part o the D4 you can replace that part , with the D4R you could not , because it is made in one unit.

I would sure not hesitate to buy the D4.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Main difference is the cam clamps. Leigh Valley sells all the parts needed to upgrade a D4 to a D4R.
    I think the early D4's lacked the cam clamps. Somewhere along the way they became standard on the D4.

I could be wrong but I believe it was the old D3's that didnt come with the cam clamps. Every D4 I have seen including mine came stock with cam clamps.
    The two main differences are the stops are milled into the body on the D4r whereas they are adjustable on the D4. Second being the one piece milled aluminum body on the D4R. Other than that they are identical and work the same way which is brilliant!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I used the D4 for years, then looked over the D4R and made the switch. I have a full review at the link below with photos and video that actually shows it better. They changed the main body of the jig, CNC machining the top and front faces which not only insures that they are square to each other but they also machined in the side stops. This is the point where many guys messed up the initial setup. Get those stops wrong and everything it makes will also be that much wrong because the jig is very accurate and does exactly what you tell it to.
    Also, they made a new undercut upper side stop that lets you cut rabbeted drawer fronts without additional setup. Very nice touch.
    Finally the new dust control which is an accessory that can be applied to the D4 also but is very cool, works great and the support bar actually makes the jig a little more accurate as it prevents the router from tipping even a little which can mess up a tight dovetail.
    There are a few other smaller changes that are nice also but overall, they made this an even nicer jig to work with.
    In short, I thought it was worth the jump and after using it on a few jobs, remain happy I got it.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/leighd4rrvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I have owned & used both. Both are great jigs. I prefer the D4R because as Tom said the stops are machined into the jig body. I believe the D4R also clamps the wood better. If I were looking for my first Leigh jig & found a deal on a D4. I would buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe it was the old D3's that didnt come with the cam clamps. Every D4 I have seen including mine came stock with cam clamps.
    The two main differences are the stops are milled into the body on the D4r whereas they are adjustable on the D4. Second being the one piece milled aluminum body on the D4R. Other than that they are identical and work the same way which is brilliant!!
    I was confusing the D3 and the D4.

Awesome guys! Sounds pretty minimal. And from what I got of the Jig Comparison tab on Leigh's website, the only two things I saw were the one piece aluminum body and the shape of the clamps. Also the new one has a machine textured finish that helps grab the part. I had to laugh at that one, probably wrong on this, but I can just see them taking it off the machine and leaving it as is instead of sending it through another process to clean up the machine marks. Saves them money and gives us a little more grippy!

I don't need this right now, but have just been casually looking for the last couple years. Figured I'd snag one if I ever saw a decent enough price. I'll see if I can't still score this one. Thanks again!

OK, Tom. Now you have got me thinking I am going to have to look at the D4R Again. I keep my D4 in a case to protect those little legs though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    OK, Tom. Now you have got me thinking I am going to have to look at the D4R Again. I keep my D4 in a case to protect those little legs though.

I built a case for my D4 also. Now, I have the Leigh Frame, Mortise and Tenon Jig as well (review on that coming in a few weeks) so am building a roll-around cabinet for storing and using both the FMT and D4R and the accessories.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Good idea. I don't know where I would put it though. I roll my D4 into the next room when not in use. I don't make drawers that often. Either way I don't think a person could go wrong with either a D4 or D4R. Depends on price points.