I have decided to build 4 or 5 cabinets for garage shop. My first significant project as a recent retiree. I will use 3/4 birch ply for carcass and door frames. I am planning to make these cabinets 16 inches deep. Would appreciate any tips or comments for those of you who have been there and done that

The door frames will be painted white. My thinking is to inset 1/4 inch oak panel on exterior side of door and 1/4 inch pegboard on interior side of door. Will use piano hinges. Some doors will be about 2 inches deep and devoted to pegboard storage. Other doors will be 4 or 5 inches deep with shallow shelves for odds and ends.

Questions

is 16" too deep? I have a lot of tools to be stored that are 12 and 13 inches deep and current kitchen style cabinets are just too shallow.

will pegboard doors be adequate for 20+ pounds of tools...chisels, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers etc.

would appreciate tips for attaching tools to doors so they don't fall off

should I finish cabinet carcass with varnish, blo, danish?

I plan on using shelf standards inset into grooves so they are flush with sides in all cabinets so I have flexibility in re-arranging shelving as needs change. Any strong recommendtauions re which standards and shelf supports are a best buy?

I will hang these cabinets using french cleats. I am planning to use 1/4 inch hardboard tacked to back of cabinet to help insure everything is square and then scew the cleat to top and sides though the hardboard.

cabinet devoted to fasteners will have multiple shallow drawers. Should I attempt to use hardwood runners for drawer construction with a groove in drawer sides.........this looks pretty straight forward but also intimidating. What hardwood is best for runner? Or should I go to Rockler and buy inexpensive slides and be done with it?

Thanks for your suggestions. I will post pics as this gets done.