Thread: A Celtic Knot pen & a Green One

A Celtic Knot pen & a Green One

263 01 (Small).jpg
    The Celtic Knot is a pickguard sandwich .090" th. The pen style is a Sierra Twist plated in Bk. Ti. Gold. The wood is a small piece of Curly Hard Maple.
    264 001 (Small).jpg
    This pen is a Sedona Rollerball turned from Curly Sugar Maple, then dyed green with an aniline dye from LV. The plating is Bk. Ti. Gold as well.

Both pens have been finished with 7 coats of Minwax 4 hr. dry time poly. After allowing them to cure completely for a couple of days, they were wet mm'd from 4,000 - 12,000 grade, after which a couple of coats of hut's Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish was applied.

In case there is an interest in pens, the pen in my signature is an Ultra Cigar pen turned from X-cut Black Cherry with an upgrade Gold & Chrome plating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Very nice pens!

Mack, Your pens are very nice! The celtic knot with pick gaurd is quite a great look, but the green one really catches the eye! Good combination of pen kits with each!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Very elegant. I also favour the dyed pen.
    can u please elaborate regarding the dye?
    1. After what grit is it dyed?
    2. Assuming this sets back the grit, what grit do you return to after dye?
    3. Does this remove some of the dye?
    thx!

Mack - very nice work on both of your pens! I also find the green pen to really stand out! Love the way the color has made the curl pop! Beautiful finish on both of the pens as well! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Love both pens, but the green one - WoW!

Do you usually use 7 coats of poly? Is there some magic in 7?

that green pen is eye catching and gorgeous!!!!

Great looking pens Mack. I agree on the green one. Stands out nicely.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Zax;1126252Very elegant. [quote
    I also favour the dyed pen. can u please elaborate regarding the dye?
    Hi Norm; Sorry for the delay in answering. I was away for a few days. The dye is anilene dissolved in water, and brushed on with a ˝" artists brush until the turned blank seemed to be saturated. After a few minutes I wipe off the excess dyed water and put the blank away overnight to dry.
    1. After what grit is it dyed?
    I generally sand to 600 grit, lengthwise by hand on the pen blank.
    2. Assuming this sets back the grit, what grit do you return to after dye?
    600 again!
    3. Does this remove some of the dye?
    Yes, intentionally, to show off the grain in the wood.

This isn't as scientific a procedure as it may appear. Put dye on, wipe excess off, let blank dry, final sand. If I'm happy with the result, apply finish of choice, if not, return to the beginning!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    Love both pens, but the green one - WoW!

Do you usually use 7 coats of poly? Is there some magic in 7?
    There is no magic in 7! That number is quite arbitrary. The tutorial that outlined this procedure said 7 coats for reasons I know not why. I just followed and used that number.

I'm very anal about my finishes, so I've stuck to that number. I may go up to 10 some day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Cameron View Post
    263 01 (Small).jpg
    The Celtic Knot is a pickguard sandwich .090" th. The pen style is a Sierra Twist plated in Bk. Ti. Gold. The wood is a small piece of Curly Hard Maple.
    264 001 (Small).jpg
    This pen is a Sedona Rollerball turned from Curly Sugar Maple, then dyed green with an aniline dye from LV. The plating is Bk. Ti. Gold as well.

Both pens have been finished with 7 coats of Minwax 4 hr. dry time poly. After allowing them to cure completely for a couple of days, they were wet mm'd from 4,000 - 12,000 grade, after which a couple of coats of hut's Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish was applied.

In case there is an interest in pens, the pen in my signature is an Ultra Cigar pen turned from X-cut Black Cherry with an upgrade Gold & Chrome plating.
    Great job,Mack.I've made a lot of pens and seen more. Those are the some of the best I've seen.

Mack,

Those are some outstanding pens...Love that Celtic knot. Now that green pen just jumps out at you. I like that Min Poly finish. I've just started using it on some of my pens. A little time & work is involved but it sures makes a pen stand out. Again great looking job on both of those pens....
    Billy