Thread: Drilling through concrete wall

Drilling through concrete wall

Hello all-

I have to take an electric line from my shop to the outside (no extension cord -- need something permanent). So I want to drill (core) a hole for a 3/4" conduit or pipe to fit through. The problem is, I tried to drill using a BIG masonry bit and it wasn't long enough to get all the way through. I think the wall is about 14" thick. I have a rotary hammer (with an SDS chuck) and a big impact tool with a 3/4" chuck.

Any idea where I can get a really long bit or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve.

Can you go through at the wood sill plate on your house, then use an "LB" to turn the conduit down to go underground?

Regards, Rod.

You can get them at HD -- I would think at lowes also.

You can always purchase a long 3/8" bit and drill through to mark the hole location -- then come in from the outside with the larger bit.

I have the SDS max setup -- I purchased many of them a few years ago when HD had them on closeout. The long bits are very convenient. If you think you will ever need it in the future I would invest in a 7/8" -- good size for 3/4 pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Godley View Post
    You can always purchase a long 3/8" bit and drill through to mark the hole location -- then come in from the outside with the larger bit.
    That is exactly how I did it in my shop. Worked very well.

Fastenal also usually stocks the longer SDS bits.

United Rentals, or another rental place... if'n you aren't looking to buy
    fledgling weekend warrior

7. I think I would get that one time item at Harbor freight.

Thanks to all.

I think HF is the best bet (bit?) since this is a one-of.

--Steve.

BTW- there is no wood sill. This is solid concrete on a slab.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    If you "cross-your-heart" promise to return it, I can send you a drill that will handle the task. I have a 1" masonry bit with 2 extensions that allow for drilling up to 28" deep. Also avail. is a 1 1/8" core bit that'll go 10" deep, 1 1/2" X 13", and a 2" X 14". They'll all work in a standard 1/2" chuck hammerdrill.

I think for your conduit run, the 1" standard masonry bit will work just fine .. I made it with 2 removable extensions because I needed to get it started in close quarters .. then extend it to get through a deep wall ..

lemme' know if you want any of them .. I'll ship Monday by whatever means you want to pay for .. all I ask is that you cover the shipping .. how's that ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    If you "cross-your-heart" promise to return it, I can send you a drill that will handle the task. I have a 1" masonry bit with 2 extensions that allow for drilling up to 28" deep. Also avail. is a 1 1/8" core bit that'll go 10" deep, 1 1/2" X 13", and a 2" X 14". They'll all work in a standard 1/2" chuck hammerdrill.

I think for your conduit run, the 1" standard masonry bit will work just fine .. I made it with 2 removable extensions because I needed to get it started in close quarters .. then extend it to get through a deep wall ..

lemme' know if you want any of them .. I'll ship Monday by whatever means you want to pay for .. all I ask is that you cover the shipping .. how's that ??

Thats awesome for you to offer that Bob. Great sense on community here. I like that!

Using Tom's method of drilling from both sides also results in a nice clean hole, with no "blow-out" of the concrete. Just keep your drill level so it all lines up.

Ted

Your mentioning drilling through concrete compels me to tell ya'll about my neighbor, Dale. He was putting an addition on to his house. To get from the old basement to the new garage (house built into the side of a hill) he had to cut a doorway through a 12" thick, reinforced concrete wall. I watched him heft an 80# electric jackhammer up sideways and pound his way through that wall. Sometimes he had to stand on a 6' step ladder to get the tip high enough. He pounded away at that wall for 6-7 straight hours. And he did a nice clean job of it. I have never seen, before or since, any man show such strength and fortitude. This was real John Henry stuff.
    Knowledge is Responsibility
    Mark V.

But for Bob's awesome offer, I would have also suggest a rental yard.

I once rented a very large hammer drill to go through some seriously thick concrete. I don't recall the drill size but it was at least 1.5" or larger. I think the drill was a Bosch...pounded right through it...worth every penny...and it took longer to drive to the rental yard and return it than to use it!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.