Thread: Opinions on wood selection please...

Opinions on wood selection please...

Hey all, later this summer, I will be building a hall table for my sister as a wedding present.
    I have decided on a design very similar (but not exact) to this one Mike Harris did. (Mike if you read this, hope you don't mind.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ple+hall+table

However I was thinking of using lacewood for the top, and african mahogany for the base. I'd like to hear your opinions on that wood combination and how you think it will look.
    I know it will depend somewhat on the finish, so it will likely be a clear wipe on like poly or danish oil for the lacewood top, and likely mahogany colored danish oil for the base.

Please let me know what you think, I'm open to other suggestions as well, so fire away.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Hi Ryan
    I think that your choices would be very good. Lacewood is a very beautiful wood with wild grain but is very difficult to plane because of the wide rays. Here is a pic of a hall table that I did using lacewood and fishtail oak which has a very similar grain but is much denser that lacewood.
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

Thanks Mike. That is a nice table.
    I really like how the lacewood retained it's color on that piece. Can I ask what finish you used?
    I hope to darken the Afr. mahogany to have more contrast with the lacewood. I've just never seen them together so wanted some other opinions.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

I used 5 coats of satin poly on this table.
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it