Thread: A Daily Gift

A Daily Gift

This is a 28" diameter wall hanging. Each ribbon is comprised of 16 half-bowl components. Bloodwood and yellowheart for the ribbons and assorted woods in the face. Finished with water-based poly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Malcolm just when I thought the bar couldn't get any higher, you pull the 5th ace out of the deck. nice job

Bill

Thanks Malcolm

Malcolm, Like the rest of your work this piece is very unique and well done.
    I have followed your work for a few years now, having an artist like yourself with
    the highest degree of turning ability and design skills has given me a great amount of inspiration.
    Thanks for posting your artwork here.
    Mark Placek
    The Square Bowl Gallery

Malcolm, don't take this the wrong way but I think you are absolutely insane.
    insane talent and I don't even know anymore how to pick your pieces apart so I could possibly understand how your artwork is done. It's truly like you speak a different language.
    My hat is off to you, wish I would have come to your class in David M.'s shop a year or 2 ago, I really wanted to but the job kept me from attending.
    your work is inspiring and I am in awe..................and now I'm gonna go sell all my tools.

thanx for posting my friend
    Sascha

I don't have a clue how you did any of that, it is so confusing I don't even see where the lathe comes on, very impressive.

Malcom. Another incredible piece. I've a design I sketched up recently as a tribute to my late son and the concept wasn't quite refined... I think your piece has inspired that clarity.

I'll have to re-read your book though to get the exact methods for the bowl splicing that you do (I assume you turn a complete "bowl" (which is closer to a funnel I believe?) and then split it and rejoin after shifting the bowl 1/2 over to the other wall. continuing around the piece.

As Sascha mentioned, I wish I would have been able to make it to your session with David. Do you have plans to deliver another course at some point?

Thanks for sharing!

mike

Malcolm,

WOW! What Sascha said! I think I'll give up segmenting now. I don't have the time or patience or talent for the simple stuff, then you go and raise the bar that high. There is just no hope for me now!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Very interesting work Malcolm! I notice the feathers and symbols and was wondering if there was a specific meaning or story attached to them? I will claim ignorance here but, to me, the piece has a native American feel to it. I like it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Another incredible piece. For those who have not seen Malcolm's work, go to his website - beautiful creations!

http://www.tahoeturner.com/index.html

That's exquisite, Malcolm!! Wonderful work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Exquisite piece. When I study this piece and think about all of the calculations to get the 3 rows of ribbons to align perfectly and then on top of that each individual stave aligns perfectly............I get a big headache
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

That is beautiful Malcolm. Wow.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is really cool! And very different as well ... while still being unmistakeably a Tibbetts piece, recognizable from 100 yards.

Keep 'em coming Malcolm. You keep raising the bar and giving the rest of us inspiration to chase after.