Thread: DC question

DC question

I am planning on running a Wood magazine type cyclone as a dust seperator connected to a Grizzly 2hp. blower w/a 12" impeller (from a 1029z DC) through all 6" lines which will then blow the fines outside unimpeded, so there will be no back pressure. My longest run will be about 10' vertical and 16' horizontal to my tablesaw. The 8" jointer and 15" planer will have about a 8' vertical and 10' horizontal run. The distances are set and there will be no way to change the piping, but I can, and will, eventually change the blower size if needed.

Does any one have any ideas on whether they think that this blower set will work, and why ? I'm looking for any ideas to help me tweak this set up before it gets set up.

Thanks in advance,
    Jimmy

Using the SP calculator on Pentz's site and some possibly unwarranted assumptions, you shouldn't see more than 6-7 inches SP loss. I don't know what that impeller's performance curves look like, but from your description, I see no reason to expect the installation to be unsatisfactory.

Since the impeller performance is unknown, I would suggest that you use a clamp-on ammeter to measure the motor amperage with the blast gate open on your shortest, most direct run. You want to be sure the motor isn't drawing greater than its FLA during normal operation. If you find it does, you'll need to throttle/reduce the flow to prevent overloading the motor.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Using the SP calculator on Pentz's site and some possibly unwarranted assumptions, you shouldn't see more than 6-7 inches SP loss. I don't know what that impeller's performance curves look like, but from your description, I see no reason to expect the installation to be unsatisfactory.

Since the impeller performance is unknown, I would suggest that you use a clamp-on ammeter to measure the motor amperage with the blast gate open on your shortest, most direct run. You want to be sure the motor isn't drawing greater than its FLA during normal operation. If you find it does, you'll need to throttle/reduce the flow to prevent overloading the motor.
    Thanks Tom,
    I'll check out the amps when I get it up and running. :>)