Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uh! Oh! I did a bad thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Hines View Post
    If I can help you reproduce anything just let me know John.

Thanks Angus,

One of the good things about the boat is all the pieces, except the missing planks and the mast, are there for patterns.

I'm still trying to figure out what model it is. If anybody knows, or know somebody who might know, I'd appreciat any imput. Although I was told it was an Aktin design, it looks alot like a larger version of "Typhoon" that is in the Wooden Boat publication "Thirty Boats." Typhoon is a Winthrop Warner design, so I'm researching that now. It would be great if I can get a copy of the drawings.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Found this it may be of some help.

http://library.mysticseaport.org/man...l/coll259.cfm#

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

[QUOTE=Angus Hines;1131771]Found this it may be of some help.

http://library.mysticseaport.org/manuscripts/coll/coll259.cfm#[/QUOTE]

Yup! I saw that and there are many 26' boats in the collection. Mystic Seaports collections office is not open until tomorrow. I'm going to be in meetings all day, so I'll probably not be able to talk to them till next Thurs. Barring that, I may have to take a road trip to Mystic - Oh shucks!!

John
    John Bailey

John,

I can't say for sure, but that engine sure looks like the standard Atomic 4 that is in just about every sail boat built up to the 80's I believe. Parts should not be very difficlut to find if that is what it is.

Good luck with that restoration. I race sailboats in my spare time. They are lot of fun. I haven't done the Chi-Mac yet but I have done the Port Huron to Mac race several times.

I see way too many of these old wood boats just abandoned in the marinas around here only to meet a chain saw after the owner gets behind on storage payments.

Keep us informed on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Paulus View Post
    John,

I can't say for sure, but that engine sure looks like the standard Atomic 4 that is in just about every sail boat built up to the 80's I believe. Parts should not be very difficlut to find if that is what it is.

Good luck with that restoration. I race sailboats in my spare time. They are lot of fun. I haven't done the Chi-Mac yet but I have done the Port Huron to Mac race several times.

I see way too many of these old wood boats just abandoned in the marinas around here only to meet a chain saw after the owner gets behind on storage payments.

Keep us informed on your progress.
    I hope you're right about it being an Atomic Four. It would make it easier to work on.

I took some more pictures today when I worked on cleaning up the dirt on the deck. First, I did some work on the stern so I could make out the name. It's the "JUBILEE" and was based in Omena, MI which is just a few miles north of where she sits now.

IMGP1742.JPG

Next is the picture of the kind of plant that was growing in all the corners where leaves and other debris had been sitting for years, decomposing, and growing plants.

Next is a picture of the cockpit. I was hoping the board that you see sticking out into the cockpit was some kind of support for a ketch rig. But, I think it's just a board for a compass or some other type instrument.

IMGP1747.JPG

I got the deck all cleaned up. I sat on the aft part of the cockpit, put the tiller under my arm, squinted my eyes and made believe I was sailing and the bow was moving up an down with the swells. I got the fever again. So, this is what "Old Wooden Boat Syndrome" feels like.

John

John Bailey

John,

The ability to imagine yourself sailing that boat will sustain you through all the hard work...er... fun you will have restoring it. If a trip to Mystic is in order you should try to make it June 26-28 during the Woodenboat Show. I talked the LOML into that trip as our vacation this year. I can't wait! I hope to see you there.

Cheers,
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kvasnicka View Post
    John,

The ability to imagine yourself sailing that boat will sustain you through all the hard work...er... fun you will have restoring it. If a trip to Mystic is in order you should try to make it June 26-28 during the Woodenboat Show. I talked the LOML into that trip as our vacation this year. I can't wait! I hope to see you there.

Cheers,
    Mystic Seaport June 26-27, eh!! I'll have to see what I can do about that. It's not a real good time for me, but I might be able to work it in.

John
    John Bailey