Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention "The Polishers"

Attention "The Polishers"

So i should have my flame polisher on Thursday and I thought I would start a thread for tips, tricks, and any other information "The Polishers" or anyone else would like to share. Looking forward to having some nice flame polished edges on my plexi projects.

Many thanks to Jack for putting this together.
    Mike

Helix 75W runnin at 89W, Corel X3, Epilog Summit 25W (alive and kickin), CNC mills, lathes, vinyl cutter, Microflame Generator (flame polisher), and all kind of other stuff to keep things interesting

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'm excited, too... my parents are coming for a visit in two weeks, which means I get to sit down with my father and play with a new toy (he's the home workshop type, too). I didn't realize that bad boy was so heavy though... 38 pounds to ship?!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Well, needless to say I was the first to play. I was amazed at just how small the flame is and yet just how intense the heat. I was able to turn some glass into melted goop in seconds.

A word of caution for those receiving your units. The instructions do not discuss mixing the water with the enclosed mystery powder. It does refer to a "solution" and has a table showing the proportions of powder to distilled water but that is it. I am emailing the factory to find out what it is, but I believe it is lye and is used to increase the conductivity of the water to electricity. When you mix it with the water, it will make the water very very hot, so be careful. Also, you should take all precautions of gloves and face protection when mixing the solution and any handling of the powder. I just measured the distilled water and then placed it on a scale to add the weight portion of the powder.

Oh, and don't forget to pick up a replacement power plug to correct the incorrect prongs on the existing cord. Good luck and don't burn your self!
    Jack

Blog Entries
    Jack,

I assume it's working on 120V with no issues? I'm surprised they put an incorrect plug on there... not many plug options for 120V, low current. There's a plug with a right-angle bend in one prong for 20A circuits, but I'm sure this thing doesn't take that much.

Also interesting they tell you to use distilled water, and then add something to put ions back in Safe to assume, then, the powder is not used up in the process, just add more water when it's dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Jack,

I assume it's working on 120V with no issues? I'm surprised they put an incorrect plug on there... not many plug options for 120V, low current. There's a plug with a right-angle bend in one prong for 20A circuits, but I'm sure this thing doesn't take that much.

Also interesting they tell you to use distilled water, and then add something to put ions back in Safe to assume, then, the powder is not used up in the process, just add more water when it's dry?
    I suspect you will make up the solution each time you fill it but maybe Frank can chime in and give us some details. As to the plug, yes it works on 110. In fact the units are labeled 110v 20amp 50 cycle. The 50 cycle concerned me since we are 60 cycle here in the states. The unit has worked just fine so...
    Jack

Blog Entries
    Did the plug look like this?

If so, that's the proper plug for a 20A circuit and you should put it back on. If you replaced it with this one:

...that's a 15A plug and is potentially a fire hazard. At best, it will pop any 15A breaker you plug it into (assuming it actually pulls closer to 20A).

The 50/60 Hz issue isn't as big an issue sine this isn't an inductive load (e.g., motor), but the transformer may tend to run a bit warmer at 60Hz due to more losses. Keep an eye on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Harper View Post
    I suspect you will make up the solution each time you fill it but maybe Frank can chime in and give us some details.
    The solution should be made up once, with no need to add more lye unless something is spilled... since you're creating an electrolyte, the reduction of water has no reducing effect on the lye itself. I assume that even with the typical poor Chinese quality control the lye they included is relatively pure. To those who wish to purchase more, make sure you get 99.99% pure (otherwise known as sodium hydroxide if you're shopping in the Borgs).

This is what the plug looks like. It is the size of a standard 110v.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jack

Blog Entries
    ˇAye Dios mio!.... that's a 50A plug! What on earth?! At least it's designed for 120V service (though I'm trying to imagine 50A @120V...)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    ˇAye Dios mio!.... that's a 50A plug! What on earth?! At least it's designed for 120V service (though I'm trying to imagine 50A @120V...)
    Actually, it has the shape of a 50amp but not the size. The size is that of a stadard 110 v plug.
    Jack

That plug in Jack's last posting is also the standard 240v 10A for some Asian countries, Australia etc. Well according to my International plug converter set.

Don't panic about 50A Dan.

{edit}
    Not trying to imply Australia is an Asian country, just quoting the booklet with the plug set!
    {/edit}
    Last edited by Dave Johnson29; 04-29-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: As noted
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Yep Thursday for me too ! Got my cord cap ready to go ! Thanks again Jack for placing the order and dealing with all the customs stuff.

If your ever in Los Angeles I'll buy the beer ! (Or bourbon)
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

Ahhh man my funnel got broke during shipping, but seriously has anyone figured out why the on/off switch has 3 positions? I haven't messed with it yet, and maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anything about it in the instructions.
    Bill Parker
    Pinnacle M-25
    CorelDraw X4
    EngraveLab 6.1

The third position is for filling, in the third position the level meter works so you know how much to fill, that is how it is on my hra polisher.
    Kim

It is a high/low. When you go the the second power level the power meter jumps up. I assume you need this when you are using the larger orifice tips at full throttle.
    Last edited by Jack Harper; 04-30-2009 at 8:53 PM.
    Jack