Thread: Anyone have a Mini Gorilla?

Anyone have a Mini Gorilla?

I have a small, 12x18 shop with a 16" lathe and a 17 inch bandsaw. Jet air cleaner helps with dust, but band saw especially needs a DC connected to it or it is likely to ruin the wheels with saw dust. The lathe could benefit as well, and I'm attracted to the Oneida Mini-Gorilla, to be used one machine at a time.

Anyone have one? Care to comment on performance and noise level?
    Lathe is quiet, and I wonder if the DC will be so noisy that I won't use it on the lathe.

The more efficient dust collectors use larger motors and impellers. This increases the noise as well. What you want to capture most at the lathe is sanding dust. If you are careful, you can get away with a smallish DC but it will most likely still be noisy.

Better noise then a lung full of dust.

BTW, I've never heard of dust ruining bandsaw tires. If anything, they'd ruin your guide bearings. My saw has 2 ports. One at the lower wheel and 1 under the table. I run a separate flex extension so I can clean off the table and guides when they get funky. Prevents logs from getting stuck on debris.

My DC is a ClearVue CV1400. It sits in the furnace room so the noise is tolerable. Whatever you do, don't attach a DC to a wall as this will turn your shop into a speaker.

My set up is such that I don't think I can put the DC outside the shop without major, major reworking. I could live with what I have, or spend a thousand and find out if I can live with the noise. I also don't want to spend the thou, and find the noise is tolerable, but realize I should have bought a 2 or 2 1/2 hp model. The Mini-Gorilla looks intriguing, but there must be someone out there who has one.

Mike,

Most of the equipment that is producing the sawdust you want to protect yourself from is loud enough that you should be using hearing protection while using it... Mind you my Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector is a LONG way away from being noisy. It's actually one of the quietest tools in my shop... But it DOES add to the noise level...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

With the band saw on, I wouldn't even notice the DC.
    But many hours at the lathe are spent with the radio on, as the lathe is very quiet. Don't know if I have to turn the radio up a little, or turn it off completely.

I think Oneida lists their noise ratings. Have you tried to find that?

Yes, 76 db at 10 feet.
    But that is I number I can't get my brain around.
    That's why I mentioned the radio.
    Hope someone can give me a sense of noise volume besides just a db number.

Normal voice conversation around 60 DB, Highway traffic is around 75DB

Mac

Aahh, now that is helpful.