Thread: 1999 Woodmaster 37

1999 Woodmaster 37

I found a 1999 Woodmaster 37 drum sander for sale for $800 from a cabinetmaker. It would be a 100 mile drive for me to take a look--plus I'd have to rent a truck to bring it back. The seller is a cabinet maker--he says it's in great condition and he is selling because he upgraded to a wide-belt sander. I have never used a drum sander--which further complicates my desion-making prosess.

What do you think--does this sound like a reasonable price and worth the drive? Thx for your input.

$800 for a 37” would be a steal if it's in decent shape.

I bought a lightly used 26" Woodmaster for $1500 a couple of years ago and thought it was a great deal (I had been looking at buying new).

I strongly recommend renting a truck with a lift gate – these machines are big and built like a tank.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Rent the truck!!!!

I sold a 37" for $1,500. The only reason I sold the 37" was I moved up to a 50".

If you are looking for a drum sander & have the room, this is a high quality US made unit for a dirt cheap. If you don't get it you'll be kicking your self for years on this one...

jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

I bought a 37, almost new, for $1500. Sounds like a great price. Just make sure you have the space to dedicate to it, they are large. I went 250 miles, one way, to get mine. I pulled a small 4x8 tilt bed trailer behind my pickup, no problems loading or hauling.
    The Plane Anarchist

I have had an 18" Bridgewood,and a 36" Grizzly,both of that type of drum sander. I sold them both. They were very difficult to change the paper on,since the paper had to be taped on with strapping tape. I never got either of them to sand the wood to parallel thickness. Shimmed up the pillow blocks numerous times. The paper just went unchanged.

I prefer my open side Delta. Truly precise adjustment on thickness across the boards,easy paper changes with effective paper clamps. I like the sandpaper conveyor belt better as the wood doesn't sink into it and get dubbed over near the edges when sanding thin (1/8" wood). You can easily adjust the conveyor table to a slight downhill tilt to sand wide boards,so the sanding peters out in the middle cleanly. Plus,it doesn't take up a lot of space,and the vacuum hood really gets ALL the dust.That never happened on the old fashioned types I had had.

I never had a Woodmaster. Does it have better paper clamps?

Thx for all your input. I'm going to go look at it tonight--and I have borrowed a truck so should I decide I can bring it back. The guy selling it is a 3 man cabinet shop.

It is overkill for me--but I have space and at $800 it is cheaper than a new Performax/Delta/Jet. My primary purpose in getting it is for hobby use--specifically veneering & laminations. It'll probably take me 2/3 months to determine if it was a good desion--and if it wasn't--it's not alot $$ down the drain.

Unless it’s beat to death I don’t think you will be disappointed. The Performax, Delta & Jet aren’t in the same league as the Woodmaster. I sold my Delta 18/36 when I upgraded to the WM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ryder is renting out a "City Van" with lift gate for just over $100 (first 500 mi. free)

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

I also think it's a steal.

Bring a wide piece of plywood lightly painted on one side to test it out.
    Most cabinet shops aren't trying to make much money when they sell their tools. When you have a shop and you want something gone, you really want it gone. Not only is it an investment tied up but it takes up valuable space.
    Good luck.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville