Thread: well, dagnabbit already.... (fence question)

well, dagnabbit already.... (fence question)

I spent the morning lining up and drilling to put the fence on my new unisaw. Everything used, and the previous owner did things bass ackwards.

I used my smaller biesemeyer to estimate everything I did on this one, but I'll be danged if when it was all said and down the fence itself did ride up a good quarter of an inch or so off the tabletop. I didn't notice it until I was across the room and looking back at the saw.

Do you think this is going to be a huge problem? I really detest the idea of drilling the caste iron again. I often us a sacrificial fence also...

Any thoughts? Drill again, right?

Thanks,

Dell
    Living that Anne of Green Gables lifestyle...

You don't say what kind of fence. If it is a Bies, I would be tempted to try a sacrificial facing. If you don't like it after using it for a while, you could certianly remount the rails or whatever at a later date.

I always drill the fence to match the tablesaw. I would redo it if it were me. It would bug me and at 1/4" all kinds of stuff would slip under it. It would be a bigger pain for me to keep messing with a sacrficial fence then to suck it up and redrill.

"...suck it up and redrill..."

Well said!
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    Hard to say without knowing what kind of fence it is. Unless it is supported at the far end, won't there be improper downward pressure on the front rail/clamping assembly. This would be pretty bad for a t-square style fence like Bies that expects to be parallel to the tabel top. I'm thinkin' measure twice . . . . sorry.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler