Thread: Newbie Here

Newbie Here

Just bought a Laserpro C180 30w. I dont know much about it. I am not a dreamer hoping to make it rich in the laser market. I sell knives and fine Gentelman gifts and already have the customer base. Just looking to add a service. Anyways, i have Engravelab. Anyone know of a place to get additional training on the Laserpro or Engravelab? My distributor who sold it has worked with me some plus i have watched the tutorials on Cadlink site for Engravelab. I just like to learn all i can. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks

P.S. Anyone else here from the great state of NC??

Welcome to the world of lasers.. Sorry, can't help you on Engravelab, just about everyone here uses Coreldraw. It's pretty well the standard for laser engraving.. I know a few have used it, if you do a search using Engravelab as the keyword, I'm sure you will come up with some useful information..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Joe

Welcome to SMC. I have Engravlab but will not likely be of much help as I use Corel for nearly everything.

If you have access to Signlab University though that should give you a good start.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Welcome to the Creek Joe. Never used Engravelab myself, most people here seem to make do with Corel and Photograv as their main tools. Have you tried looking on Youtube to see if there is a tutorial on there? Great place for visual training on most programs.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Welcome Joe. all that I use is engravelab what do you what to know, not a expert but will help any way that I can.

Welcome Joe! I work exclusively in Engravelab. It's nice to have another Engravelab user on board. I don't know how much help I can be but feel free to e-mail me any time.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Nice to meet you all

Good ideas. I will try youtube. Dont know why i didnt think of that myself. If i am doing a job and want to do consecutive numbering how do i do that automatically? ex. 01 of 100, 02 of 100, 03 of 100.........

Joe

If I were doing it, I would have the same number of digits as your total quantity, i.e. 002 of 100, 003 of 100, etc.

Pete

I use a program called Print Merge Numerator to do consecutive numbering. There is a free and a $50 (give or take) version. It works great.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Joe,
    Welcome to the Creek. As you can already see, everyone here is friendly and eager to help where they can.

Enjoy the ride.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 50 watt with Rotary Attachment
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40 Rotary Engraver
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40G Rotary Engraver with Rotary Base Fixture
    Ricoh GelSprinter GX e7700N Dye-Sublimation Printer
    George Knight DK-20S Heat Press
    George Knight DK-3 Mug Press (x2)

Corel X7; Photograv 3.03; LaserExpress, Adobe CS5.5
    Vinyl Express GRC-61 - 24" Vinyl Cutter
    And other stuff I don't know how to use

Joe

I believe you can do consecutive numbering within Engravlab. Do you have access to the signlab university tutorials?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You use serialization to do consecutive numbering.
    www.newing-hall.com/Docs/Serialization.pdf
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

13. I also have a LaserPro Mercury 30W. I love it. It will serve you well. As far as training goes, you will have to learn your software. I use Corel and went to a school in Texas for training. It was well worth the trip. Bob Hensley is the one that has the school. He uses and sells universal lasers, but they all work about the same. He is wonderful and I can give you the details if you are interested. I went to his two day seminar and learned so much. I came back and began my business, and made a big pile of boo boo's, but now I am in my fifth year of business. It takes a lot of practice, and dedication, but you can master it quickly if you keep at it.

I do mostly photo work in stone mainly granite. I also do various other items. Wine bottles, glassware, wood, corporate engraving, etc.
    here is my website if you would like to take a look. www.rgilengravers.homestead.com
    Good luck, if I can help in any way, let me know.
    Barbara

Hey, welcome to the Creek, Joe. This is the best place for everything laser..and a few other things too!

Nice website, Barbara. And very nice work! You must the one person we've been hearing about who can make a living doing mostly photos on stone however I see you make a lot more than that. Did you already have the granite business before you started engraving?

Thanks for sharing, dee
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 05-13-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong