Thread: prebuilt garage an option for a freestanding shop

prebuilt garage an option for a freestanding shop

Hi all

I will soon, next 6 months, be moving from NJ to MD for work and am starting to look at properties. Since I am hoping to capitalize on the move as much as possible I am hoping to be able to set up a fully freestanding shop. I have been looking at some of the prebuilt garages available in the 20x20 or 24x24 size range. I was wondering if anyone did this and how it went. I would still need to insulate, heat, cool, and electrify the place but for now Im just looking at the possibilities. From what I have seen a two car garage model prebuilt and delivered runs around 6k... depending on options. any thoughts?

thanks
    mike

Mike, my former woodshop was in a 24 x 32 garage kit from 84 lumber. It worked out fine. I would advise that you build the largest structure that you can; I don't ever recall wishing that I had a "smaller" shop but there have been many times that I wished for a larger one!

One thing that I'd do different is to put a 24" tall knee wall on top of the slab, and build the garage on top of that. This way you'll have 10' ceilings (based upon 8' wall studs), which is a great feature in a woodshop. You can obtain an extra panel for the garage doors w/o much trouble.

FWIW, I am planning a similar setup, on a smaller scale (MUCH less land to deal with...) I would try to make sure you get a building that has a usable loft for storage etc...

Lots of folks have done this, and this is not a horrid idea. It makes things go together very quickly. However be VERY careful as to who makes your kit building. Some of them are utter junk...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Check out my analysis if the Tuff Shed garage/shop that I had done at:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96769

Yes, I'd do it all again, but this time I'd be able to avoid some of the problems that I had. Fortunately I don't have to worry about doing it all again.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps