Thread: New Electrical Service

New Electrical Service

Gonna put in a new 200A service panel for a friend who currently only has a 100A (though the house is only 3 yrs old and the meter is rated for 200). He was thinking just a swap job, but I am wondering what is the NEC says about what wire gauge needs to be from the meter on the house to the service panel?

My friend who works for CommEd (not an installer) says they haven't changed the wire gauge for a new home in over 6yrs in this area so I know that portion is safe.

Anyone know this one?

Thanks,

Chris
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

Ummm, to be blunt (not curt or rude), but if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing the panelboard swap. Furthermore, in most places, if you're not a licensed electrician you are not allowed to do work on anything other than your residence.

I will be replacing the main panelboard at our weekend cottage we bought last August. That will include installing a grounding electrode system because one isn't there now.

Do you have service laterals or service drops? What is the current GES?

If the stuff I'm referring to doesn't sound familiar, hire an electrician.
    Last edited by Rob Russell; 05-11-2009 at 8:39 PM.

[QUOTE=Chris Jenkins;113037

My friend who works for CommEd (not an installer) says they haven't changed the wire gauge for a new home in over 6yrs in this area so I know that portion is safe.

Thanks,

Chris[/QUOTE]

Electrical utilities are not bound by the rules of the National Electrical Code, they are subject to other rules & regulations.

Hire a qualified electrical contractor, contrary to the thoughts of some folks electrical work is a skilled trade.

Although it depends upon the insulation, typically for 200A you should have 3/0 copper wire from the meter to the main.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Ummm, to be blunt (not curt or rude), but if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing the panelboard swap.
    I Hate it when people state this as an answer to a question, but in this case, this is the correct reply. I don't think Rob normally says this in his responses, nor do I, but when it comes to swapping a main like this, it is beyond a DIY.

I looked into the Comm Ed rules out here and you guys are correct. They won't let a regular guy put in a new panel. I will admit this was my first one doing this. I have put in a few sub-panels in the past and that is just so much easier. Putting in the 200A service panel didn't seem that hard, but truely I rather not fool with it. Looks like I get to put in another sub-panel afterall...

Chris
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Although it depends upon the insulation, typically for 200A you should have 3/0 copper wire from the meter to the main.
    Actually if it's residential, 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum is code compliant see Table 310.15(B)(6) if non-residential, then 3/0 is correct.That table is what gets some folks thinking they can use #2 AL for a 100A subpanel which is in error in almost every case.

(6) 120/240-Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services
    and Feeders. For individual dwelling units of onefamily,
    two-family, and multifamily dwellings, conductors,
    as listed in Table 310.15(B)(6), shall be permitted as
    120/240-volt, 3-wire, single-phase service-entrance conductors,
    service-lateral conductors, and feeder conductors
    that serve as the main power feeder to each dwelling unit
    and are installed in raceway or cable with or without an
    equipment grounding conductor. For application of this section,
    the main power feeder shall be the feeder between the main disconnect and the panelboard that supplies, either by
    branch circuits or by feeders, or both, all loads that are part
    or associated with the dwelling unit.
    The feeder conductors
    to a dwelling unit shall not be required to have an allowable
    ampacity rating greater than their service-entrance conductors.
    The grounded conductor shall be permitted to be
    smaller than the ungrounded conductors, provided the requirements
    of 215.2, 220.61, and 230.42 are met.

Italics mine. Copy & paste from the 2008 NEC but is unchanged from the 2005 edition.

A bit off topic but is important.