Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In need of a table saw tuning/calibration lesson

Ryan. Welcome. I got a lot out of video called "Mastering Your Tablesaw" by Kelly Mehler when I was starting out. It shows how to setup and use a tablesaw. He tunes a contractor saw at the beginning if my memory is correct.

~mark

Welcome to the Creek! You can learn a lot here. I certainly have!

As others have said, most miter gauges do have an adjustment mechanism for calibration. Take the time to thoroughly examine it, top and bottom. I bet you'll find an adjustment there.

But, as Bill Huber said, the miter gauge is the last part of the tune up. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it until you have the blade square to the miter track and then the fence adjusted square to the track. THEN deal with the miter gauge.

Recently, I spent several hours tuning up my saw, following advice and tips learned here at SMC. A properly tuned TS will make your woodworking experience much more enjoyable and a lot less frustrating.

Regards,
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Hi Ryan, I live on the other side of town, in Eagan, but I do have some of the setup equipment that you need to adjust your table saw. I'm certainly not an expert at aligning things, as a matter of fact I spent most of last Saturday changing the face on my rip fence and re-adjusting everything (most everything any way). If you are interested, I could probably stop by and help you setup your saw. I have parents that live in Roseville, so I get to that side of town fairly regularly. Send me a PM if you would like to get together.

Brian Walter

Good videos

There are a couple of table saw setup videos on this site worth watching.

Videos

Ryan,

I'd make a trip down to your woodcraft store and pickup a set up PALS its the best 30 dollars you can spend on a contractors saw. I had a delta contractors and used it for a year, when I was in MPLS I went to woodcraft and bought a link belt and PALS for my saw and got the blade and the mitre slot lined up and installed the link belt and I thought I had bought a new saw, completely different machine after those 2 simple upgrades.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    pickup a set up PALS its the best 30 dollars you can spend on a contractors saw.
    Pals on sale right now at Woodcraft for $20. HTH
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler