Thread: Which book do you like better????

Which book do you like better????

I saw the sale that taunton has going on right now and I want to get a finishing book. I heard that Jeff Jewitt is pretty good before but there's another one by Michael Dresdner on sale also.

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...er-070429.html
    http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...tt-070421.html

Which one covers a wide array of finishing rather than just a few? Which one is easier to understand? What do you guys like better??? Thank you!

I kinda like the Flexner book myself. Have you read it?

A friend gave me the Jewitt book a few years ago - but I have not cracked the spine on it yet.

I haven't read the Flexner book but thank you.

Jarrod, I have not read either, but I do have this one, and it is very well done and informative.

The two "best" finishing books, IMO, are Bob Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing and Jeff Jewitt's Taunton Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing.

Both are excellent and I would recommend getting both. They are minimally redundent and both very useful. For a new finisher who only wanted one book, I would get Jewitt's book first.

BTW, either will be considerably less expensive through Amazon.com.
    Howie.........

I second the recommendation for Bob Flexner's book. I spent a lot of time reading and working out an understanding of the book. There are "recipes" in it, but what it gave me was gave me an understanding of the characteristics and practical differences between various kinds of products. With that, I feel like I have a start at understanding finishing.

One of the most important lessons I learned is that what finishes say on the outside of the container is mostly for marketing purposes. It has very little to do with what is on the inside.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Either the Flexner or Jewitt book will make you a wood finishing geek. Flexner's book has become a coffee table fixture for me, to my friends' and wife's perplexion.