Thread: tips on painted wood - antiquing

tips on painted wood - antiquing

looking to put a weathered paint look on some pieces, do you have any tips on the process

Look up "dry brushing". It's an art way above wiping a glaze over paint. Most weathered looks have several colors involved. I used to antique old turned rails with the application of flat, latex products. White base coat, followed by dry brushing gray and van dyke brown. I'd take a chain and run it through the brown, blot it on a rag and beat the rails. Final coat of low luster lacquer.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

There are many different weathered looks that can be achieved, and even more different techniques and methods to create them. One thing most of them have in common is lots of layers.

Living near the US/Mexico border, I like the weathered mexican look that uses bright colors, but makes them look subdued. It's the only one I have much experience with.

I start with a layer of thinned out off-white latex (never ultra pure white). I then wipe on a coat of clear finish. Next comes the first color, followed by another coat of clear. Then comes a second color in the same family as the first color. I typically use the lighter of the two underneath, and the darker one on top, but the other way around can give a neat look also.

The aging is done by lightly (and artfully) sanding and scraping to expose some of the wood and other colors underneath. I use everything from sandpaper and steel wool, to scrapers and chisels. The clear coats really separate the colors and help make it look aged rather than just beat up. I then sometimes dry brush select areas using either the lighter of the two colors, or a light grey. Depending on how it will be used, I may stop there and let the exposed wood weather naturally, or I might apply a coat of matte clear to protect everything.