Thread: Granddaughter's Loft Bed

Granddaughter's Loft Bed

My son in law and I have been working on this thing for about 5 years. We just installed it in my granddaughter's room this past Sunday. It's not nearly as nice as other projects I see posted but in my opinion, it's hard to make Red Oak look ugly. I'm just putting the link to my Picasa album here. Don't pay any attention to the date on the album, the pictures were just taken in the last two weeks.

View Album

Nice work. Looks like you have a happy client! ;-) Did you resaw a single board to make the back of the desk? I like the repeating book match pattern.

Thank you. We actually used Oak plywood for the very large pieces. The whole desk is plywood except the two side pieces. They are 18" wide made up of three pieces laminated together.

Phil, Great job on the bed. That's the real joy of woodworking the look in a granddaughters eyes. Good job Pappaw. Craig

Great job on that one, Phil. Very functional, and I doubt those doors will come unhinged anytime soon with four hinges!! Kind of a neat idea with the short drawers in half the cabinet unit.

You are right on red oak - I have used it in a lot of ways, and it is the go to wood for good, solid, everyday furniture.

"That's the real joy of woodworking the look in a granddaughters eyes."

You are so right Craig. That is one very special customer.

"Very functional, and I doubt those doors will come unhinged anytime soon with four hinges!!"

John. Good eye to notice the four hinges. They called for three on a door of that height, but knowing how a bouncing 10 year old might swing on it we thought we'd do four. Probably a good thing too, we found out that she decided to use the drawer fronts with the knobs as a ladder the other day. Her Daddy "encouraged" her to not do that anymore, but you just never know.

Thank you all for your encouraging words, I have gotten a lot of information from this board during this building process. It's a great place, with great people.

Phil