Thread: DC blower question

DC blower question

Does anybody have an idea on whether a blower that's made to run vertically can be turned sideways (horizontal) without any problems. Changing it might make a difference to some of the bearings, but I don't know .

Thanks in advance,
    Jimmy

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Should not be a problem at all. Consider the lowly contractor table saw where the motor hangs out the back, and it's weight provides belt tension .. ..if that type of loading doesn't hurt motor bearings, a finwheel running horizontally certainly should be OK.

I have a 2 hp blower that is mounted on a barrel with the impeller horizontal. I've noticed blowers at work very similar to mine that are mounted vertically. Seems like they work fine either way.

I have rearranged my 2HP HF DC so that the impeller sits horizontally, and no problems. While the horizontal mounting of an impeller will change the bearing loading (I used to be a bearing engineer a long time ago), it is a more even loading - so it should actually be marginally beneficial. But with the impeller spinning at such a high rpm, the impeller probably doesn't know whether it is vertical or horizontal or somewhere in between.

I have a blower from a Jet 1100 DC running horizontally with no problem.

Ken

Thanks All !

I was hoping to hear that.

Jimmy