Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extension cord on steroids...

Extension cord on steroids...

Its only 125' long and tomorrow I will make up one that is 180' long.

This one is for the stage sound and lighting for this weekends event downtown. The cable and plug end is overkill but I wanted the option to use it in other applications if need be, then I just have to change out the box and pigtails for a 250v receptacle.
    Its #6-4 and the 50 amp plug end cost a mere $65...The cable cost $2.50 a foot

This one cost about $400 in materials to make up. The one I'll be making tomorrow will be well over $550 It will be for the bounce house blowers.

Just thought I would share

That must weigh a few pounds!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

THAT is cool!!!

Yeah it is heavy alright!

I don't want to have to carry the 180 footer very far...

Way COOL, I like doin stuff like this at work. Especialy since I don't have to pay for it

Mark, what did you use for over current protection on the individual outlets?

Regards, Rod.

You've got some room in that box - how about a circuit breaker or two. Might save more than a long walk back to the box in the basement and isolates everything else on the branch circuit in the event of a short or overload.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Never do a job half way. And when you can; do it double. You've got this one covered!
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

8. The cord cap looks like an industry standard CS6365-P, 50 amp twist lock, which can plug directly into most industrial generator service panels. Did you know you could have purchased used extension cords from your local power distribution rental house (like Aggreko or a Cat dealer). It comes in 25, 50, and 100 foot lengths because no one wants to pick up a piece longer than 100 feet. You probably could have even picked up a used distribution panel with a NEMA enclosure and overload protection.

If you wanted this new, then you could have gone to any one of a dozen companies that specialize in portable power distribution for special events (like stage power).
    Trystar: 866-879-7827
    Power Temp Systems: 800-472-1158
    Indu Electric:310-578-2144
    ATI: 512-586-6470
    TMB: 818-899-8818

Better put warning labels on it about not using it in the shower or tub, and that if wrapped around the neck, may cause strangulation! Of course, you probably ought to add that if ingested, call 911 immediately :-)

Generator would not suffice for this application I'm assuming?

PS

This thread reminds me of when I used to work at the Hyatt Regency doing audio visuals. It was the first time I got to work with a 200 Amp 3 phase power distro with wires that were almost as thick as my wrist.

For securing coils we used velcro to secure the coils in over/under loops. I'm not sure if that's electric tape but if you leave that out in the sun, the adhesive will make a mess on the cable jacket.

As for the weight, the big wires were moved around in box dolly's. I don't think your average AV tech could carry a coil by hand... They don't pay you enough to sustain a back injury from slinging cable anyways.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Scoma View Post
    Generator would not suffice for this application I'm assuming?
    Think bigger. I wasn't referring to the little ones that can power a house, but the ones that can power the whole neighborhood. In addition to the main lugs, most portable generators have a series of convenience outlets ranging from 5-20 GFI, L21-20, and the CS69xx.

Running show power off a generator is quite common, even sometimes when the show is indoors. David Bowe played at the HHH Metrodome, and his power needs exceeded the capacity of even this stadium, so a 1.2 Megawatt generator was brought in for additional power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    This thread reminds me of when I used to work at the Hyatt Regency doing audio visuals. It was the first time I got to work with a 200 Amp 3 phase power distro with wires that were almost as thick as my wrist.

For securing coils we used velcro to secure the coils in over/under loops. I'm not sure if that's electric tape but if you leave that out in the sun, the adhesive will make a mess on the cable jacket.

As for the weight, the big wires were moved around in box dolly's. I don't think your average AV tech could carry a coil by hand... They don't pay you enough to sustain a back injury from slinging cable anyways.
    The stuff that is as big as your wrist is typically 100 amp, #2/5 pin and sleeve, and even the 50 foot coil cannot be picked up. Anything over 100 amp is almost always separate conductors of 2/0 or 4/0 camlock.

You sure know yer stuff Rick

We have the first lady coming to Merced this weekend for the commencement of the first graduating class of the new UC Merced and we are having a four block "block party" downtown.

I was put in charge of providing the power for the stage as well as a half dozen bounce houses and several food vendors. Generators were not a real option because of the noise factor. If we did go with generators we would still have to locate them at a distance and would need the power cords anyway. This way we just plug and go. I do have a spider box to serve the bounce houses but I didn't see the need for the stage. They only needed <10kw so the 50 amp 220 fit the bill.

I had an electrical contractor outfit a few tesco peds with receptacles along main street for power during events downtown. I made up another one today that is 200' long and I think I'll cut it in half and add twist lock plug ends so I dont have to man handle the 200' cord, it is a heavy dog for sure

14. Oh Geez, it is too bad you didn't mention this sooner. The stuff I have been talking about is exactly what you need, and all of it is available for rent. I used to do this for a living, and still have ties to field today. I have set up hundreds of projects just like you are talking about, and have been in that industry since I was 14 years old. The Tester I make here is actually designed specifically for this rental industry.

First off, generators should not be considered out of the question, especially in CA. Virtually all of the rental generators are sound suppressed and you can carry on a normal conversation within feet of them. More than 50 feet away, and you can't even tell they are running. Down in California, "studio quality sound suppression" is also very common, and these units you can't even tell when they are running when you stand next to them. They are used in film. You wouldn't need these super-quiet units, but a standard unit would work perfectly.

For your food vendors, you need what is called a quad string. This is an extension cord that has power drops along the length. The alternative is to use the Spider (Hubbell's name) and feed drop boxes from this.

All of this stuff is off-the-shelf rental and there is nothing you need to make or buy. You can call Holt Caterpillar. Even if they don't serve your area, they will know which dealer does.

We don't want to have to mobilize/rent generators for each event.

Really, why use gen-sets when we have power off the grid available at each block?

Yeah, I could have bought used and saved a few bucks but I just as soon buy new (I work for the City as Facilities Supervisor) we sell used stuff we don't buy it

I'll look into the quad drops but I don't have much time and already put a plan in motion.

Thanks for your expert advise though I do appreciate it. Its clear you know what you are talking about and I wish I had time to consult with you prior to being committed to a plan.