Thread: Lumber for Boat Building

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between

Lumber for Boat Building

I'm always searching for new sources of lumber for my boat building projects. If you know of such sources please advise. I am in New Hampshire but will go where I need to go to get good stuff. Lumber of particular interest:
    Juniper (aka Atlantic white cedar)
    Northern white cedar (haven't seen good boat quality in years)
    Spruce (spar quality, eastern or western species)
    Cypress

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

Here's my favorite shop. Ask for Johnny or Anna, and tell them I sent you. http://www.northwestlumberco.com/
    They have some very nice wood.

Tweedie Lumber

It took me almost 2 years to find Northern White Cedar. I stumbled across this guy on a wooden boat forum. VERY good quality ceder and well worth the trip from NH. I bought about 200 board feet from him and it probably only had 25-50 very small knots in the whole batch. Oh yea, his clear White was $3.50 a board foot last fall.

Tweedie Lumber
    188 Thorndike Maine 04986
    ph. 207 568 3632

I lived in NH when i was stationed at portsmouth naval shipyard. I think the name of the place I used was called highland hardwoods. i dont know if they carry the stuff you are looking for, but a good staff and good prices.

good luck

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    ...thanks Allen, Travis, and Jamie

Highland Hardwoods (Brentwood, NH) has a large inventory, excellent variety, and delivers regularly to my area; I have been buying cabinet/furniture lumber from them for years. Unfortunately not much in the way of air-dried boat lumber.

Northwest appears to be similarly focused.

Tweedie Lumber sounds like a potential winner; only five hour drive and near the sea! I'll be calling them later today.

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

Let me know how it goes over at Tweedie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Carey View Post
    I'm always searching for new sources of lumber for my boat building projects. If you know of such sources please advise. I am in New Hampshire but will go where I need to go to get good stuff. Lumber of particular interest:
    Juniper (aka Atlantic white cedar)
    Northern white cedar (haven't seen good boat quality in years)
    Spruce (spar quality, eastern or western species)
    Cypress
    I've got some interesting pieces of 1/4" plywood. They are about 12" wide and 16' long, originally 8' long but joined with a scarf joint.

I also have an impressive piece of clear spruce, a full 2" X 12" and 27' long! I really don't know what to do with it, it is a shame to cut it!! But it is all for sale!