Thread: Need Help dating a 5 1/4

Need Help dating a 5 1/4

I am either missing something or I have a weird one. Just looking at the bed (with out removing the frog) I have:

Bailey in front of the knob
    Ring receiver for knob
    Made in USA behind knob
    Nothing cast between the frog and the tote
    No 5 1/4 behind the tote

Elsewhere: Notched rectangle with "Stanley" inside and "Made in U.S.A." below on the iron. Stanley on lateral adjustment. 2-piece finger catch for the lever. Kidney lever cap with orange paint.

Seems to me to have half the features of a type 14 and half of those of a type 15 (even considering just the bed alone)

anyone have any insight?

Thanks
    Bob

Blog Entries
    There are a few things to consider on a 5-1/4. It was very commonly used in high school shop classes. Parts could have been exchanged between planes. Since it shares some parts in common with a #3, parts could have been swapped with one of those.

Stanley did not know there was going to be type studies on their products. They used up old parts with new parts to make a product to sell.

I like older planes for reasons that are only valid to me.

When your plane was made is not as important as if it does its job well.

jim

Yes, don't worry about a plane that doesn't match the type study. I have a type 11/12 #7, a high knob of type 12, V-logo blade (type 11), small depth adjuster (type 11 and piror), post type 12 lever cap, etc. Assuming your plane came out of the factory that way, just be content thinking that your plane was made in 1930 or 1931, when they had parts stock for both type.

Here is one of the disclaimers from Stanley plane dating page

Hybrids of plane types are very common