Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scrub plane question...

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    Hi Tim,
    The piece is still dogged to the table while I work on other parts.
    In general, that is a bad idea. If you have a sudden swing in humidity, the panel is likely to warp on you as only one face is exposed ... that face will become wetter or drier than the face on the benchtop surface.

To be such a light weight piece of wood, this cherry is rough on my Hock blade. I resharpened again last night.
    I've never worked cherry myself but it is well liked not only for it's grain and color, but also because it is easy on cutting edges. One thing I've noticed in my limited experience...as my sharpening skills have improved, my blades go longer between honings. Could well just be perception on my part. The more finely honed the cutting edge, the longer lasting the cutting edge....that comes from experts suchs a Leonard Lee and others.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Yeah, I know this is not a good idea. I generally don't even like to plane one side only. It's called procrastination. I've got a fair amount of wood to remove so I may have to do it more than once.

You may be right about the edge quality. I think it is improving. However the previous sharpening would take off arm hair without touching my arm with the iron. This is the best I've done so far. I'm using SS then green honing compound. I'm not spending much time on the compound, but the other steps are raising a burr prior to grit change, so I suspect that is the limit for each paper. Still the previous sharpening lasted probably 15 minutes of planing time. That inclued straight edge and winding stick checking time but not much of that. Should I be getting more time or just save this tool for it's intended job? And yes, it does cut fairly easily in comparison to hard maple.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sproul
    In general, that is a bad idea. If you have a sudden swing in humidity, the panel is likely to warp on you as only one face is exposed ... that face will become wetter or drier than the face on the benchtop surface.

I've never worked cherry myself but it is well liked not only for it's grain and color, but also because it is easy on cutting edges. One thing I've noticed in my limited experience...as my sharpening skills have improved, my blades go longer between honings. Could well just be perception on my part. The more finely honed the cutting edge, the longer lasting the cutting edge....that comes from experts suchs a Leonard Lee and others.