Thread: Principals of shop arrangement

Question Principals of shop arrangement

The electric is in and tomorrow I pick up a PM 66, 14" band saw, 6" jointer, 13" planer, and 10" RA saw. I've got to fit in my scroll saw, hollow chis mortiser, and drill press. Since I only have 22' x 16' x 7' and I'm going to need some bench space I'm thinking about making a rolling bench that matches the TS hight and build up the stand tools to match that.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the principals of tool placement to maximize utility and minimize pains in the butt. I have never owned a joiner and haven't used one since HS shop class.
    Knowledge is Responsibility
    Mark V.

Have a storage place for EVERYTHING, so you can keep your work surfaces free of clutter and free of not-in-use benchtop machines.

Blog Entries
    Workstation height as you mention can really work for you. I see many people place their jointer at one end or the other of the TS as they are generally a low profile machine and will be cleared by material being moved across the table. Normally I harp on workflow in regard to tool placement. However in your space, that may come second to maneuverability; I hate having to step over or around things when I am working.

Your planer and scroll saw may be a good pair of candidates for a fliptop stand depending on how you use your scroll saw. If you sit at one for hours, this may not work out. Swapping the RAS for a CMS that could share the fliptop would gain you a significant amount of floor space and make the tools mobile.

I'm sure lots of others will chime in so I'll stop here for now. Enjoy it!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Try to use the non obvious spaces, such as unter the TS wings, Put the RAS on a cabinet, sit your BS on a cabinet instead of a stand, same with you planer, etc., and put all machines on mobile bases. Also put your router on the TS wing.

Good Luck,

Jimmy

...PM 66, 14" band saw, 6" jointer, 13" planer, and 10" RA saw. I've got to fit in my scroll saw, hollow chis mortiser, and drill press.
    Let's look at this a piece at a time...

The PM 66 should have plenty of room for a router table wing. Get one and use it instead of a dedicated router table. You can and should still use a proper router table fence with dust collection on this setup. Constructing a cabinet for dust collection / bit and spanner storage on the underside is a popular way to maximize space.

Most 14" band saws have the motor down in the stand. BUT if yours is along the lines of a Ridgid BS1400 where the motor is above the stand, you might consider leaving the stand off, and building a rolling cart with drawers for more tool storage underneath.

6" jointer is a VERY wide range of size definitions. I own a Sunhill SM-150B benchtop jointer that can be mounted on a piece of plywood, and stuck on shelf standards / brackets when not in use... If you are using a floor model that would be a bit tougher. If you are going to set up a miter saw station, or RAS station, you might consider making it tall enough where you can put the jointer on a rolling base, and roll it under one of the wings of that...

I have to assume the 13" planer is a lunchbox type, and that your mortiser is a benchtop machine. Put those on plywood mount boards, and hang them on the wall like I was mentioning about the benchtop jointer above. I am guessing you have a bench grinder as well... All of these can be mounted that way, when you want to use them simply clamp the ply down to the router wing of the TS and you are good to go!

You did not mention what size of DP you have, I am going to assume a floor model. Consider a rolling base with locking casters, and some sort of removable cabinet for the bottom...

Same advice for the scroll saw. Replace the steel stand with a cabinet for tool and blade storage...

I have done a few sketchups houing more / larger tools in a 10x12 shed, and while it would be tight, there would be plenty of room for working on smaller pieces. Once you get to the sheet goods rack you will have to start rolling stuff outside...

That 22x16 space from my casual research, would make a large number of your fellow woodworkers seriously envious... You have plenty of space if you use it smartly...

Get your hands on Sketchup, and go through to tutorials, then start sketching up your space, and your tools, or at least as close as you can get to them... You would be suprised by how well you can do for a small space if you plan it out in advance...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...