I got a nice job of making parts for a silk screener. The job is cutting parts from ¾ melamine 15 or more sheets at a time. I have to haul the sheets about 50 feet and it was killing me. So now that the job is a repeat I needed a material cart.
So today I came up with this design after look at a few carts. The top is 48x48 and the base is about 45x36 I wanted it a bit narrower but I was not sure about stability. I tested it by doing a pushup on the top edge and the cart did not rock and I weigh 260 or so. I was not sure of the weight limit so I made it to handle 5 sheets of ¾ stock.
The cart was made with 3 sheets of ¾ (I wish) shop birch plywood. I wanted to use Russian ply but it is 90.00 a sheet verses 35.00
Also the hardware was around 90.00 the wheels are really nice and they lock normally plus rotation is locked too they were about 17.00 each I used lag screws on the front of the table to hold the frame and the lip in place. I used a ¾ bolt for the pivots. I wanted something with a large bearing surface to keep the design with wood only to make it easier to build. It will also have a flip out stop for the sloping side for uneven loads but I did not have a hinge on hand.
The rails are 2 pieces of ply glued and nailed together. Then everything was screwed together.
I had to cut the slots in the base again as they were not long enough. I goofed a bit and cut outside and not inside.
I will have the vcarve file if anyone wants it. It may need a bit of work to get the dados the right size depending on your ply. Plys I reused toolpaths for different sheets to make sure you work that out.
I had to trim a little bit off the top of the vertical supports to get the top to tilt right. I also had to move the front cross rail on the base down a bit.