Thread: Which Side For Glass?

Which Side For Glass?

I have 2 cabinet doors that will have textured glass inserts. Here's the really dumb question. Does the smooth side go on the inside or outside of the door. I would think it should be on the outside but but not sure. Any Ideas?
    Thanks, Tom

outside because of cleaning. easier to clean smooth glass

Blog Entries
    +1 on outside for ease of cleaning as Jim states.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think it depends on the type of glass, and how dark the interior of the cabinet will be. If you put the texture on the inside, you might lose some of the textured effect, especially of the inside of the cabinet will be relatively dark. If the texture is on the outside, light will reflect off the texturing.

Since installing the glass is one of the last steps, I would try it both ways before final installation.

Without having a piece of the glass here in front of me, I think I agree with Tom -- smooth side out when viewed up close, or from any kind of an angle, you might lose a lot of the textured effect? Cleaning's an issue, I guess, but textured glass will hide a lot of housekeeping sins, if you get my meaning .

In actuality smooth side out might not diminish the effect at all. Prop a piece up and walk all around it to see how you feel.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 05-17-2009 at 9:35 AM.

I'd run it textured side out.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    I'd run it textured side out.
    +1 for texture outside.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Depending on what kind of texture you have on the glass. Some textured glass just dose not look good from the back side. Others don't make a big difference There is no set rule more that what looks good.
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

The glass is "Taffeta" in the Rockler catalog. It looks really good! I thought that if I put the raised side on the outside it would be a dust collector. The smooth side would be easier to clean. But I will take the advice and rtry it both ways before nailing home the retaining trim. By the way the glass is for 2 doors on an entertainment center that will hold home theater equipment and support a flat screen TV. By the time I get it finished 3D television will hit the market

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Is this a trick question?
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Hi Tony, NO it's not a trick question. he has textured glass and wants to know if there is a proper side to have out. some textured glass will be smooth on one side and rough (textured) on the other. Dale
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Try it for a while..............

Just a suggestion. Install the glass in the door and secure it with masking tape. Leave it in a few days and check it throughout the day in different light. Then, reverse the glass and repeat the process. Then choose the side you like out the best and install the glass that way. Just my opinion.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    It's your glass so you can do what you want to it, however, there is a proper side out. It is the textured side.
    Walk into a furniture store or a cabinet store and look around. The textured side will always be out. This is not only true for glass but also for fabric. Unzip your sofa cushions or look at the backside of drapes. Our eye is accuctomed to texture and feels more comfortable with texture in most cases, not all, but most.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Tony, you're right. (never doubted ya) Rockler says textured side out. The more I looked at it the more conviced I became. Anyway thanks for the help!