Thread: Jointer fences: how flat is "flat enough"?

Jointer fences: how flat is "flat enough"?

I bought a PM 60B 8" jointer last year, which I really haven't had a lot of time to use as of yet. I was out in the shop today checking on the alignment of the tool's various surfaces, using a feeler gauge and my Veritas 50" aluminum straight edge. The jointer seems reasonably true as delivered, except that there is a pronounced dip in the middle of the fence. Beginning about 3" from each end of the fence, a .005" feeler guage slides easily under the straight edge over the entire mid-section (a .006" one does not). Is this excessive, or of any practical concern?

Thanks

Dan

I guess it's just me, but I wouldn't consider .005 a big deal. The wood you are working with is going to move a lot more then that by itself.

The attached is a tolance guide for a local macine shop. You will see you are well within their tolerances.

http://www.northernim.com/tolerance_guide.htm

John

Not being flat is not that big a deal with a jointer fence, what causes problems is if there is a twist in it. If you think about it your fence could be really bowed and it would not cause any problems in getting a cut that is square but if it is twisted it will cause all sorts of problems.
    Tom

(1) .005" is fine.

(2) For squaring stock, it could be out 2" and it wouldn't matter.

(3) Out of flat could be a problem for beveling stock (where the fence is angled at other than 90-degrees to the table), but .005" would still be inconsequential.

In other words, you're fine.

WW'ing isn't science... You are well within acceptance with .005.

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Jendro View Post
    I guess it's just me, but I wouldn't consider .005 a big deal. The wood you are working with is going to move a lot more then that by itself.

The attached is a tolance guide for a local macine shop. You will see you are well within their tolerances.

http://www.northernim.com/tolerance_guide.htm

John
    I showed that print to my brother and he said they look more like carpenter tolerances. It is obviously mold not machining tolerances. Clifford.