Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How are router depth adjustments supposed to work?

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but the cause of inaccuracy for me is locking the body of the router into the base. All of the depth adjustments I have used work fine (body turning, small threaded rod turning etc). The issue I have is that locking the body changes the bit a hair. Does it matter? I think so. I have learned to guestimate the amount of sag/lift that each of my routers have when locking them down and pre-adjust for this.

With a gauge you can get it spot on before you turn the router on but it may take one or two trial lock-downs.

Plungers should make this easier but all of the plungers I have used have relatively inaccurate scales.

Over the 30 years I've been making sawdust I've moved more and more working without measuring much. I never draw plans. If I need a rabbit for a plywood back, it doesn't matter to me if the plywood is 1/4", 6mm, 8mm, or anything else. I just grab a 3/8" rabbiting big and take a scrap of the plywood, and set the bit to the plywood thickness. Quick and perfect.

I think too many woodworkers work too closely to plans. With the way I work, I can adapt to mistakes. Say the book case was going to be 36" tall, and I make a small cutting mistake. Most times, I can make it 35 5/8" and nobody is the wiser. If you do a detailed drawing and cut all the parts to the cut list, you have to make everything perfect. Make a mistake and that part needs to be tossed and another one fabricated.

In the evolution of my craft, adaptation of the design on the fly has been most valuable...joe

Blog Entries
    Plungers should make this easier but all of the plungers I have used have relatively inaccurate scales.[/QUOTE]

I have two plunge routers - Freud and Ryobi. The Freud is permanently mounted in my router table. The problem with Ryobi is the base plate - doesn't accept after market templates and I haven't found an aftermarket base plate. The plunge mechanism on teh Freud does make adjustments very easy. I also have PC 690 for my dovetails - adjusting it is a little touchy. If you're not careful it will rotate all the way down as soon as you turn loose of it.

Have you tried any D-handle routers? They have the switch in the handle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    I wish that I could find a good router for hand held use that has the old trigger switch built into one of the handles.
    Problem solved: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5619.../dp/B00005Q7D9
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler