Thread: Anyone have one of these compressors?

Anyone have one of these compressors?

Senco PC1131 - oil bath
    - 4.3 gallon portable,3.8CFM @ 100psi, weighs 60#
    $189.00 @ Hartville Tools

Ingersoll Rand DD2T2 - oil bath
    - 4.5 gallon portable, 4.4CFM @ 90psi, weighs 65#
    $299.00 @ Tractor Supply

Makita MAC2400 - oil bath
    - 4.2 gallon portable, 4.2 CFM @ 90 psi, weighs 77#
    $312.00 from Amazon

DEWALT D55151 -oil bath
    - 4 gallon portable, 3.2 CFM @ 90psi , weighs 56#
    $237.00 from Amazon

Hello,
    I'm in the market for a new medium sized portable.

Obviously, the Senco appears to be the best bang for the buck.

However, I lean heavily towards the idea that w/compressors - "there's IR and there's everone else".

Since it will see a lot of use in the shop (my garage), one of my main concerns is noise. The Makita is legendary for it's low noise factor, which is the only reason I'm considering it.

If anyone has any input on any of them I'd appreciate it.

Or a suggestion for something else in the 13 to 14.4 AMP (1.9 to 2.5 hp) catagory.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have a 10 year old Hitachi ec12 which looks like the same design, no complaints
    If I had to replace it today, I would buy one not on your list, MAC5200 puts out more air and less noiser

the Ingersoll Rand DD2T2 looks good to but they all look like clones

IR makes some bulletproof stuff, but I think some of their more cost sensitive products are made for a price offshore like everyone else.

In other words, they have now, I think, consumer lines, and industrial lines.

I've had the dewalt for about 6 years now. I only chose it over the other brands because I found a re-built one at a super cheap price. It's performed well even after all of the abuse it's suffered. My father has the senco, and his is louder, and I'd swear the output was less, not more than mine, but maybe thats 'cause his hose fittings all leak air. My large shop compressor is an Ingersoll Rand, and it's realtively quiet and performs beautifully. I'm sure their smaller compressors are quality machines too.

I would definitely go Makita. I think the greatest advantage to the MAC2400 is the decible level. If noise and amp draw are not a concern go with the MAC5200.
    If you cant be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

I bought a 17gal Campbell-Hausfeld from Tractor Supply for about $150 about a year ago, and I have really liked it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I just got the MAC2400 and love it. It is sooo quiet and fills quick. With my old oilless CH I would leave my GarShop while it filled.
    With the MAC I barley know its there .... well thats a bit of a stretch but it is not annoying.

I've got the I/R and I like it a lot. We have an industrial sized I/R at work, powering a good sized factory, so I figure they must know what they're doing. I'm not sure how to compare it to the others though. It makes some noise, and it compresses air, pretty much like the others do. Pick the one you like the best and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Gordy

My 2 cents ........ of the ones you've listed, I'd probably lean towards the IR. A sub I worked with had the MAC2400- pretty quiet and it's design provides good protection for the regulator etc but my main concern about the MAC is it's duty cycle- it's only 50%. Could be an issue if you start running air tools such as rachets, impacts and sanders- I sometimes do. IR claims a 100% duty cycle. I've seen a couple IR's on jobsites but can't vouch for the noise levels- the pancakes that were also running drowned everything else out. The DeWalt/Emglo I'd think would be noisy- it runs at 3400rpm's. I've heard some complaint's that the current Emglo's are not the ones of old- B&D moved production to Mexico. There is a company called Jenny (the folks that make steam cleaners) that bought the rights to the old Emglo line and still make it in PA. The Senco I know nothing about. If I were in the market today for a portable compressor my top three picks would be Thomas, Rolair, and Jenny. Rolair's are tough to kill and fwiw, made in Wisconsin. Thomas are also made in Wisconsin. They're the exception to the rule- they're oilless. I have the T-200ST. It's fairly quiet - Thomas claims 75dB. Good output (4.6cfm @ 100 psi), quick recovery (12 seconds), easily runs on a 15 amp circuit (I've run it on extention cords with no problems) and starts fine when cold- I had a flat tractor tire and it started fine at -22. Downside is these three brands will cost you more. My Thomas was $350 five years ago and they've had some big price jumps since then.
    Last edited by John Callahan; 05-18-2009 at 2:30 PM.

Hello,

Well - I ended up going with the Ingersol Rand after a lot of looking.

The 100% duty cycle plus the 5000+ hour expected life are what sold it.
    Along with past experience selling the IR line also. Which is why I say "there's IR, and there's everyone else").

I looked at a CH 26 gal. like the one Doc suggested, and noticed that it was only rated for 500 hours.

@ 57 years old, i should have more than 500 hours left in me .
    5000 hours, for a three pack a day smoker - well - that's probably like a lifetime tool .

The Thomas specs were/are impressive - to say the least. The price tag is also! Way out of my price range.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Yes I do

Rich,
    I'm partial as I work for IR in Davidson,NC.I also bought the same unit and it's great.It's built in a IR contracted plant in Italy.It had everything I look for in the big commercial units that we build in NC.A lot of the small stuff,under 50 horsepower, is built in Campbellsville,Kentucky.There are other units with the oil lubed pump but you can't go wrong with IR.Good luck with the unit,
    Greg