Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Fesstool Sander

Which Fesstool Sander

I am confused by all the different fesstool sanders. Can anyone tell me which one would be good for general sanding and finishing work

I can only speak to the 5" ROS but it is one great tool and all I need for general work. Very smooth with no noticable bounce. Excellent finish.
    RD

Philip, I have five different Festool sanders, and they all serve a good purpose.

This is a great reference chart for selecting the right sander:

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/...ool_sander.pdf

The 6" Rotax is great for fast stock removal and initial sanding, as well as reasonably fine work.

If I could only have one sander, this would probably be it.

For finish work, I like the ETS 150/3 the best (it's just a pleasure to use), and also the RTS 400EQ.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 05-17-2009 at 10:03 PM.

I don't expect to need a lot of stock removal. Just finish sand planed wood on cabinet doors before staining.

thanks for that chart I will have to spend some time studying it.

I have the five inch ROS and the 6" 150/3 . I like the 5" for most parts on most things, it is smaller, lighter and more maneuverable. I like the 6" for larger surface areas and buffing, but its a whole lot larger and thus a bit heavy for general use. I have tried the rotex but don't own one. Seems like a great tool if you need the rapid material removal its aggressive mode allows. Its fairly expensive, I don't need the aggressive mode, so I haven't bought one.

All the other sanders seem to be specific purpose, like detail or straight line sanders, and I don't find myself needing these in my home shop much for the work I do.

I have the ETS150/3. I'm very impressed with this sander. Team it up with a CT22 dust extractor and you'll be amazed how good the combination is.

Allow me chime in with those above. I have all the Festool sanders and I would agree that the ETS 150 would be the primo one for finish work. I would also add that you get the hard sanding pad http://www.festoolusa.com/products/s...rd-484850.html for your flat surfaces especially when your running off the edges or doing narrow stock.

cheers,
    Roger

The Festool sander that does 95% of the work for me is the 150/3. I also own a Rotex, but only really pull it out when it's extra features come into play. The 150/3 is an outstanding sander and I can use if for hours without pain in my hands and wrists as there is almost no vibration at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Phillip,

I agree with Jim and the others who recommend the ETS 150/3.

Bob
    bob m

One more for the 150/3. I own the RO150 dual mode, the 150/3, the RTS400 small sander, and a 1/2 sheet RS2E. The RS2E is not the general purpase sander like the 150/3, but it is crazy smooth to use.

Thanks for the advice on sanders...looks like the 150/3 is what I need, I will have to take a look at em. A good sander and the Domino are the last two things I need or want at least for this week. Its been a bad week for the tool budget with a new jointer, planer, shaper, dust collector, forrest saw blades and dado blade, kreg jig kit and incra miter gauge. I'm not sure how much more the wife will take, but she said she was tired of me never having the tool I need and go buy what ever I need. she will regret saying that

You need a decent Vac with the Festool sander, to get the full benifits..

If you live in the USA, you should talk to Bob Marino.

If you can only afford to own one Festool sander, the Rotex is likely your best bet since it is the most versatile sander: it can be a ROS or Rotary sander (non-ROS movement). It can finish sand very nicely and I often forget I have a 150/3, which is a tad more appropriate for finish sanding.

I often take my Rotex up through 180 grit and then the 150/3 from finer grits on up but the Rotex with 180 is often far enough....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris, the one issue with the Rotex as an "only" sander is that it's not very comfortable to "one hand" it due to it's size and shape. That's a somewhat convenient and desirable quality for many sanding tasks where you have to hold the workpiece or manipulate the vac hose while sanding. While I love my Rotex for what it can do, if I had to choose "just one", I'd still opt for the 150/3.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another vote for the for the ETS 150/3 here.