Thread: stencils for sand carving

stencils for sand carving

I'm just starting to play with making stencils (using laser friendly resist) to see what I can do with my blast cabinet and pressure pot. Is there a "rule of thumb" to use when making stencils for sand carving? For example, on this vector of grapes, what would you leave on the bottle and what would you expose for the sandcarving?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

In this case blast the black , any other way will give you headaches cos if you reverse it and blast the inside , its gonna look wierd or incomplete unless you encase the whole thing in a black rectangle or blast the rest of the bottle leaving whats now black , unblasted
    In general , you would blast the graphic and not reverse it.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Thanks Rodne .... That was my initial thought, but I thought I would check with the experts before wasting any resist!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Greg Vaughn [Epilog Helix 45W] - CorelDrawX3 - Photograv 2.11

sand blast

Greg
    It depends on the effect you are seeking. black usually means blast. The depth of your "blast" = size of line. Small text = shallow "blast" If you laser the grapes as you have them you can then remove the inside of the grapes one by one for multi-stage blasting which is quite attractive and holds a high perceived value to the customer.
    What you have would look very nice on "flash" glass, or mirror. For a mask I have used Laser Tape for the past three years and only laser tape.
    Hope this helps

Epilog 75W ext 36-Rayzist sand blaster, chroma craft.
    "Promise what you can deliver--Deliver more than you promise"