Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Selecting a Scroll Saw

Need Help Selecting a Scroll Saw

I'm going to buy a scroll saw this weekend, but I haven't made up my mind which one. I don't imagine myself becoming a big time scroll saw guy, but I have a young son who would love the chance to use a power tool. (The scroll saw is actually his Father's Day gift to me, but I can imagine him using it more than I do.)

So, I've been doing my homework on scroll saws. The DeWalt is nice, but too expensive. Same for the Delta P-20. I've heard nothing good about the low end Delta SS250 or the Ryobi. I've hear (read) mixed reviews about the Dremel, and generally good reviews about the Delta SS350.

I have about $200 to spend on this particular toy, and I'm always looking to get the best machine I can for the money. Any thoughts on the saws I mentioned, or any others that I've missed?

Thanks,
    Sam/Atlanta

Need Help Selecting a Scroll Saw

Sam,

Your max price really limits your selections. Did you try ebay --- I looked and found some good ones in your price range. Also the different wood forums often have them for sale.

Good luck, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Well.......if you're going to buy ONE and maybe never buy another one? I'd buy the DeWalt.....$500 is a lot for something you may not use much, but if your son takes to it like a fish in water, then you have spent a very wise investment into your own sons life.

Maybe look at it more for him than for yourself. Getting your kids involved in ww'ing is a very worth while investment of both time and money. I have 4 kids and 3 of them LOVE to work with me in the shop....and one of those is my daughter!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I agree with Dennis, if you are going to make the investment, make it once. The Delta P-20 or DeWalt will be the most versatile units. If you are going to buy a lower end unit - stick with Delta as their blade changing system is one of the best on the lower end saws that I've seen.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

I have to agree with the above 2 posts, Scrolling is what I primarily do as a side living... I am a pattern designer and cutter...
    My primary saw is a DeWalt that I have had for about 5 yrs and has never let me down... if I were to replace it for a saw in the same price range I might go for the P20, which was not available when I bought mine...
    In the price range you are limited to, I would definately go for a Delta SS350, I have had the opportunity to use one as was pleasantly surprised at how nice it cut and the blade change ease. Stay away from the Ryobi, Dremel and Craftsman saws... I have seen more and more of them being upgraded after just a little time because they are not the quality of the Delta..
    In fact since Lowes is clearancing almost all Delta products, you might just find a deal at one of their stores.. In fact they have the SS250 for $69.00 http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...31-32764-SS250
    Have fun with your new toy... and let me tell you, it is as addictive as pen turning...

Tom Mullane
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 08-12-2004 at 7:13 PM. Reason: removed direct link to web site in signature line- violates TOS

Joe:

I did check ebay, and found a few that interest me. I'm always a bit hesitant to buy used stuff sight unseen, but there are a few new or reconditioned units to be had. There's one in particular that ends before my tool shopping trip with Junior on Saturday, so maybe it'll work out.

Thanks,
    Sam/Atlanta

Dennis:

I just looked on Amazon.com, and they have the factory reconditioned DeWalt for $300, with free shipping. Maybe I can convince the CFO (a.k.a. SWMBO) to cough up another hundred....
    Sam/Atlanta

Tom:

Thanks for the input. I've been checking on prices for the SS350 and several places have it advertised for $189, including the stand. If I can manage to find one this weekend, that may be my choice. If it impressed a pro, I'll probably be thrilled with it!

Was there anything specific that you didn't like about the SS350?
    Sam/Atlanta

I have the SS350 and have done a LOT of work on it and have no complaints at all. It is a solid little saw...especially if you are on a budget. I think for your son it would be an excellent choice. I agree with Tom about the Craftsman, Ryobi, etc. These 10 custom porch corner brackets I did for a lady this Spring with that saw earned me enough to buy a Dewalt and more, but I just saw no need to replace the 350! I will say that cutting thick wood takes a lot of patience...I have never had much luck with the advertised 2" thickness capability, but then I use my band saw for thicker stuff.

Carole,

That is mighty fine scrollsaw work! Funny thing, my wife isn't into ww'ing at all but she has seen the work of scrollers and has been bugging me off and on that she might like to take the plunge. She is into crafts and sewing and is a damn good artist so scrolling just might be for her. I'll have to point her to your exemplary work.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Sam,
    I am not a scoller, but have heard that Hegner is a good saw.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    Just a thought.
    Alan

My father was wandering around up in Door County, WI and he ran into Patrick Sielman's workshop (long story)...yea the guy who writes all the scroll saw books. Talked to him for a while too...nice guy. Anyway...

My dad said a) Patrick had a ton of saws - all different brands - b/c all the manufacturers send him saws to test and review and b) Patrick told him the best saw for the $$$ was the Delta SS350...in his opinion.

So I'd vote SS350

FYI - Perry

Sam,
    I was in Lowes the other day (buying my new planer ) and I think they had the SS350 with stand for $179. I'm not sure if it is VS or not, but I'm pretty sure it is a SS350 because I took note of the handle on the top arm. It doesn't show up online, so it might just be our local store that has them.

Wes

Chris, If your wife can sew she can certainly scroll It is a very similar action, just follow the line. My wife really enjoys scrolling, but she does it more so she can paint the end product
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Carole:

Thanks for the input. It always hepls to hear from those who own the machines. Is there anything that you don't like about the SS350?

Oh, by the way, nice work on those brackets!
    Sam/Atlanta