Thread: Pool Cue

Pool Cue

I have seen several listings of wood for pool cues. Does anyone have any book titles or ?? on how to make pool cues? I know that a cue is much more than a stick with a point so I was hoping there is some definitive work available. Any help would be appreciated.

I worked for a cuemaker for a while and have made many cues. Even though the material is wood, a machinist is much better equiped to make cues than a woodworker. The main tool used is typically a large metalworking lathe, although there are also lathes made especially for cuemaking. There is an ongoing debate as to which is better, and my vote is for the metal lathe.

The only decent book I know of about making cues is called "The Cue Building Book" by Chris Hightower. He also now has a line of instructional videos. They are all available on his website, which I believe is cuesmith.com

I suggest taking a look at Dennis Dieckman's website, in particular at the "Written Word" section. It is very rambling and more in depth than you probably want to read at this point, but will give you a glimpse of what it takes to start making cues.

There is an incomplete and very basic picture tutorial about cue making on Cue Components website. It is full of misleading statements, but it does at least show pictures of cue construction that will give you a rough idea how cues are assembled.

The most critical part of cuemaking in my opinion (and in the eyes of many master cuebuilders) is proper seasoning of the wood to minimize movement as much as possible. As Dieckmans articles explain, the time from your first purchase of cuemaking wood, to the time your first cue made from that wood leaves your shop will be a couple of years or more if you do everything properly. There are those who rush things, and the warped cues to prove it.

Another great source of info is the cuemakers section of the forums at azbilliards.com. There are many talented and knowledgeable cuemakers that post there regularly.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it was helpful.

Get Chris's book, then read, read and read it again.

Then get either a Cuesmith lathe, or a Proper Model b, then kick yourself and go back to making pens..

head over to azbillards.com and join the forum, great bunch of guys and a lot of cue makers there. Always willing to help... thats my home away from home, (when I am not here now)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGarry View Post
    Get Chris's book, then read, read and read it again.

Then get either a Cuesmith lathe, or a Proper Model b, then kick yourself and go back to making pens..

head over to azbillards.com and join the forum, great bunch of guys and a lot of cue makers there. Always willing to help... thats my home away from home, (when I am not here now)
    What's your azbilliards screen name? I used to post there regularly, but mostly just lurk now that I'm no longer making cues.