• Titebond III

14 77.78%
  • Gorilla Glue

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

3 16.67%

Thread: Glue selection for outdoor project

Glue selection for outdoor project

As I graduate from rookie/newbie to a more typical average Joe woodworker, I find myself noticing there are other products in the marketplace that may be more suited for a project than what I am used to using. For example, I have used Titebond I for everything so far. I am rebuilding a wagon-shaped planted for the LOML. It was original made of chinese junk wood and ply and as such crumbled. I have acquired some spanish cedar for the rebuild and need a glue to hold the contraption together. What should I use?

Titebond III will work fine. You could also use epoxy - but it's more expensive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Weldwood Resorcinol Glue

Weldwood Resorcinol Glue, good for exposure to fresh and salt water. Been used for years in the boating area.

I attended a class taught by David Marks last year. For outdoor projects, as well as laminated bendings, he recommend urea formaldehyde glue. He said he once used epoxy for an outdoor art piece and it fell apart.

TB III, would probably be OK. But that urea formaldehyde stuff, or the marine glue Rick recommended, would be bullet proof.

Occassionally, I'll use West System Epoxy for outdoor projects but normally, I just use TBIII. It's a Type 1, waterproof glue and like Mike noted, a lot cheaper than Epoxy or Resorcinol and a lot more user-friendly since it cleans up with water.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln