Thread: want to get a cabinet scraper - #80 style not card style

want to get a cabinet scraper - #80 style not card style

looking to get a cabinet scraper, should i get the veritas one from lee valley or pick up a real #80 on ebay or new version? what about the other copies of the 80 such as the kunz version and the woodriver? what are the differences? is the veritas one although not that much more $ worth the extra?
    If you don't make mistakes, you don't learn.

-- Sam Maloof

No experience with the LV

These are pretty simple tools. I suspect, from the cost perspective, that cheaper would be just fine.

The LV version has some advantages, I think - the casting is higher at the blade, so there's no blade sticking up to attack you if you accidentally come in contact with that area. LV says the handles are in better alignment.

What others have said (again, no experience on my part) is that an aftermarket blade is a serious step up for a Stanley or Kunz cabinet scraper. If you can get a Stanley, Kunz, or other model cheaply enough, you could get an aftermarket blade, but then you'd probably be near or over the money for an LV.

One last, minor point: if you're into retro, the Kunz color might be for you; otherwise, consider whether you could stand to look at it for any length of time.

The one from LV is very nice and far superior to the original Stanley 80, which I also have. Think of LV vs. a Stanley plane and you have the difference: heavier, better steel, better ergonomics and really pretty easy to use, so long as you know how to put a good edge on steel. I consider it an essential in my tool kit.

I have both

Mike,
    I have both and really prefer the Veritas Cabinet Scraper over the Stanley No80. As mentioned before, the Veritas has a slightly larger base, superior (IMHO) ergonomics and is a bit heavier.

However, I used the No80 for several years (a gift from my wife) before I was given a Veritas by my Secret Santa. With a properly tuned and sharpened blade, the No 80 works nicely. Especially if you can get one at a flea market for under $20!
    Dominic Greco

I have the Stanley 80 with a Lee Valley blade. Works fine. The blade was like $3.00 when I bought it , but I think they've increased in the last few years.

I have a couple of the original #80's. They work as advertised. I would like to try out a LV someday as Ive heard nothing but good things about them.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Options...

I have a couple of Stanley #80's, also a Sargent, and an E. C. Stearns, all work equally well with somewhat thicker than original blades. The Sargent ($7) and Stearns ($5) were each less than half the price of the Stanley. There are only small differences between the Stanley and the clones, handle hang, shape of front edge. There is little difference in how well they work.

I also have a Stanley #81; they are a little more expensive than a #80 and they are a subtly different experience, akin to the difference between a woodie and a metal plane. Personally, I really like the feel of the rosewood sole sliding across another piece of wood.
    I cannot compare to the modern versions other than to say; I wouldn't waste my money on a "green" one or one that chattered in Chinese. But those are just my personal opinions...YMMV.
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

you guys that use the cabinet scrapers, do you find you use it more then a regular card scraper? or are there certain situtions where one is better then the other?
    If you don't make mistakes, you don't learn.

-- Sam Maloof

I follow the #80 with a hand scraper and try to cover the entire surface lightly with it so that the final surface is uniform for finishing. Why don't I just skip the #80 and use the hand scraper alone? Because it is easy to create shallow depressions with a hand scraper bowed with your fingers. The #80 or a #112 scraper plane don't do that but can leave tracks; which can then be removed with the slightly-bowed hand scraper.

Run of the mill #80s are plentiful, usually cheap, and work great. I have three of them. I also have a #81, a #112 and a KK212 (Like a Stanley #12) plus some card scrapers (I had a little scraper habit for a while ). I would have been money ahead to stop after I had the first #80 and the card scrapers as they do pretty much anything I need done as far as scraping goes.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.