Thread: Cherry Bowfront Table

Cherry Bowfront Table

I recently completed this project for a family friend. It consists of a bentwood lamination for the front apron, mortise and loose tenon joinery, tapered legs and a sprayed shellac finish.

I am pretty pleased with the outcome and so is the new owner! Nothing too spectacular or earth shattering with this piece, so i cranked it out pretty quickly. Overall start to finish i probably had about 16-20 hours in it broken up over the past few weeks.

Also about a year ago I made the mirror in pic #2 for my fiance (then girlfriend) and a matching full length one for her birthday.

Thanks for looking
    -NWB

"there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Excellent work on both projects. It is interesting to see the difference in the color of the cherry just over the passage of a year.

Doing the laminated, bowed apron probably took longer than the rest of the table. Very simple, elegant, and well done.

Blog Entries
    Very nice.....

Nice Nick!! The cherry is always a good choice and it does your design justice. I like the proportions on your table. They seem to go well as a unit. Nice design.

Jim

Nice! Great spot for it as well!

Great job, gotta love that cherry stuff!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Nice job on the hall table Nick.

The pair look great together.

Nice job, Nick! I did a similar table for our foyer and the bow front design is just perfect for that kind of application as your picture shows! Nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Very nice. The curve really enhances the whole ensemble.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

16-20 hours?!?! You are faster than me, that's for sure. Nicely done.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

In doing the laminations, did you cut 1/8 strips on the bandsaw or tablesaw? If the former, how did you smooth it after cutting (i.e., a handplane or drumsander)?

Nicely done. I think the bow front was an appropriate choice for the design.

Sarge..

Thanks for all of the kind words Gents!!!

As for the time, I was actually building two of them (one for me and one for a customer) so setup time was kinda/sorta cut in half. Production can be a real money maker!

Jason: I agree that is a nice spot for it, but unfortunately that one is for the client and has made its voyage to New Jersey. But once I complete mine (tiger and ambrosia maple) it will sit below that mirror. I am honored to have a comment like that from you! Your work amazes (sp?) me! THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Mason View Post
    In doing the laminations, did you cut 1/8 strips on the bandsaw or tablesaw? If the former, how did you smooth it after cutting (i.e., a handplane or drumsander)?
    Doug: I cut them on the bandsaw. After the first cut was made, I used a handplane to smoth the "blank's" face so that the next laminate would have one smooth face to start. Then once all laminates were cut, I sent them all through the drum sander to smooth the other and thus achive two glue ready faces. Worked pretty well, I would do a few thing dfferent next time, including a new bandsaw! But you live and learn!

Thanks again folks!
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"