Thread: The Onrust

The Onrust

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you The Onrust ! This is a nearly exact replica of the first ship (yacht) built in NY in 1614 by Dutch sailors stranded after their original ship burned. This has been in progress for over 2 ½ years and took its maiden voyage Wednesday, May 20, 2009. I have had the privelege of helping build this wonderful vessel in what little spare time I have on weekends. It has been a lot of fun and very educational. Some of you may remember that I turned the winch that will raise and lower the mast, which is collapsible to go under bridges and such. There is still a lot of work to do but she floats and sails under her own power. Our Captain is fantastic with a bunch of inexperienced landlubbers. I got to sail with her from above Lock 9 on the Mohawk River to her mooring cove where the final fit up will be done. She will then sail to NYC to participate in the Quadricentenial of Henry Hudson’s trip up his namesake river in 1609. She will then become a floating classroom to educate people on the rich history of our area and the significant influence of the Dutch on our society. I am proud to be a part of this very interesting project.
    More information can be found at the Onrust website.

www.theonrust.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    ...as one who has "wooden boat disease" let me say thanks for the thread Don. I look forward to spending some time at the Onrust website.

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

You're Welcome

It's a great project. Lots of fun. Still a lot of work to do though.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

That is a realy cool boat! Be proud of what you and others did!