Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Always loved this photo

Cory,
    I bet those belts made an awesome sound when that place was humming. Any chance all that is still there?

You know, if we managed to kill 750,000 people (figure they cited on Memorial day news coverage) during the war between the states, wouldn't that make for a great deal of military surplus? Could be those guys were just using them as a cheap source of work clothes.

Cory,
    When I was 18 I worked as an apprentice Sheetmetal/Pipefitter for the Southern Pacific General Repair Shop in Sacramento California. Many of the buildings looked similar to the buildings in your photos with the exception of the overhead belts & pulleys. I loved those old buildings. Most of them were very old by California standards. I think they are all gone now.
    David B

The timber framing in old buildings fascinates me, I visit churches when traveling just to see and sometimes photograph the roof framing.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    You know, if we managed to kill 750,000 people (figure they cited on Memorial day news coverage) during the war between the states, wouldn't that make for a great deal of military surplus? Could be those guys were just using them as a cheap source of work clothes.

No those are definitely cadet uniforms. The confederacy did not have a standard issue BDU so there was not surplus of CSA BDUs. The uniform in the picture is light in color probably gray. Union BDUs were navy or dark blue. Many Universities still have gray and older looking uniforms. VMI and Viriginia Tech's cadets both have gray. With the exception of the hat I would say both are closer to CSA uniforms than USA uniforms.

Those are some cool photos. It looks like they even have some type of dust collection.

On that note did anybody catch a recent episode of The Woodwright shop when they were in an old window making factory in PA? They were still using machines from the late 1800's for their production. It was pretty amazing what they had back then for tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hoehn View Post
    Cool photo. Check these out. They're taken in a property I own that used to make passenger rail cars. These are in the wood shop of the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    The timber framing in old buildings fascinates me, I visit churches when traveling just to see and sometimes photograph the roof framing.
    Harry that one should have been in Phil’s thread.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112795
    AB