Thread: Basic bookshelf - red oak

Basic bookshelf - red oak

Dimensions are 36" wide x 24" high x 13" deep. Material is red oak and red oak plywood. Finish is 1 coat of Watco danish oil (natural) and one coat of light brown Briwax (toluene-free).

Thanks for looking!

Very nice...I like the trim work at the top.

Nice work, Joe! I like the trim as well. It appears to me thicker than the portion that is proud of the top surface. Did you rabbet the mitered edge at the top?

One thing I would have considered - the top is visually heavier than the bottom. I would have beefed up the bottom, and run a trim around it, but then I don't know how or where you are using this, so it may look fine.

Nice job Joe. I do agree with John on the bottom to balance the proportion.. not a big deal but a future consideration.

Sarge..

Thanks for the suggestions. The bottom face frame section is 1.5", while the rest is 3/4", but I agree it still looks a little top heavy. Maybe a base moulding would help balance it out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton
    It appears to me thicker than the portion that is proud of the top surface. Did you rabbet the mitered edge at the top?
    The top trim is just one piece of 3/4" stock with a cove routed underneath It sits on top of the 3/4" face frame, and is slightly proud of the plywood case, just because the plywood is not quite 3/4".

Joe.. you could build a wider, mitered base frame and run a rabbet ledge near the top on the inside. The current bookcase carcass could sit right down and on top of that carcass and be attached. Years ago I did a chest and had several people mention the base looked out of proportion to which I agreed.

With a cup of coffee and some staring.. the above was my solution. Just fuel for thought going into the next project. Your case looks soundly built as is.

Sarge...