Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How Much Are Sam Maloof Pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by kauko laurinolli View Post
    Hey, I make those too. How much is my signature worth? $50 perhaps ?
    Oh crap. Another 8 year old thread brought back to life. The OP hasn't logged on here since 2010.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-23-2017 at 6:22 PM.

That's ok. This was a good read with some fascinating tidbits about Sam and his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    That's ok. This was a good read with some fascinating tidbits about Sam and his life.
    That is why we keep the old threads available. There is a wealth of information in them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I thought it was a forum rule that your first post on SMC had to revive a 'zombie' thread.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I thought it was a forum rule that your first post on SMC had to revive a 'zombie' thread.
    Yes, I think you're right!

2009 called, it wants its thread back.

If anyone is interested the Bonhams auction site usually has at least 1 or 2 pieces for sale each year. Shortly after his death the record price for a rocker was $83,000 (which included the buyer's premium). In more recent times prices tend to be about $30,000 to $35,000 for a rocker. It depends on how badly two people want one.

If you have never seen one in person I would highly recommend a trip to Rancho Cucomanga. The detail that would go into his rockers was truly extraordinary. I don't think pictures do them justice.

CP

Blog Entries
    I love old threads! Just an FYI, if you Visit MFA Boston and wander through the Asia wing, you will have to opportunity to sit in a Maloof bench and 3 different Nakashima Pieces (a pair of dining chairs and a live edge bench) there is also a Stradivarius kicking around, and a pretty amazing furniture collection in the America wing.

Interesting little side note related to pricing work. I was w3alking through the Museum and my Father in law says, "I could paint this." (Referring to a Van Gogh) I said sure but he did it first.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I was there for a one day class 2 years ago. At that time they had 10 years of backlog. The Rocker was $50K in walnut, and as much as double if in an exotic. About 200-240 hours of labor in a rocker. The older pieces are highly collectable. He showed us a dining table with 8 chairs that was there for refurbishing. It sold at Christy's Auction house for $485K. I think they were charging $50K to resand and refinish
    $50,000/200 hours = $250/hour. Not bad. $50k to resand and refinish? I will do it for half. Please send them my way.

Quote Originally Posted by jim carter View Post
    his rocking chairs were going for 40 grand before he passed away and there was a 6 year waiting list.
    That makes no sense at all. Forty thousand for the rocker that he duplicates for everyone that comes along?

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    That makes no sense at all. Forty thousand for the rocker that he duplicates for everyone that comes along?
    There's this odd economic concept called "supply and demand"...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I think what was happening is a walnut rocker cost about 10 grand.A very acceptable price.Sams signature made up the rest.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I sat in a Maloof chair one time while visiting a museum in San Diego. They had it unguarded in an exhibit with no signs not to sit in it, so I did.