Thread: Very minor rant on Mortise Pal

Very minor rant on Mortise Pal

Having fun with my new Mortise Pal, but a little frustrated that there is no possible bit/template combination to let me use my 3/8" x 2" floating tenons from Lee Valley. Meanwhile Mortise Pal only offers a 3/8" x 1 3/8" tenons and nothing longer than that. Seems I simply cannot find precut tenon stock to use with my Whiteside 3/8 bit and Mortise Pal templates:

3/8" x 1 7/8" (3/8 bit and 1 1/2" template)
    3/8" x 2 3/8" (3/8 bit and 2" template)

I have nothing against being a do it yourself person, but cutting my own tenon stock is not my idea of a good or productive time right now. I don't have a planer (yet) so getting the right thickness might be a chore. Of course I can cut down the Lee Valley tenons to 1 7/8" and that gives me an excuse to but a new round over bit which is always a good thing (more bits).

Anywhere else I can buy tenon stock to match those dimensions?

P.S. If you download the Mortise Pal manual, page 8 has all the combinations in a table.
    http://www.mortisepal.com/users_manual_d_web.pdf

Alas, if I could delete this I would. I cut down the Lee Valley tenons on the table say then rounded off with a block plane in about a minute. Fits great.

If I can beg forgiveness for being so whiney, it is for this reason - Domino envy. My neighbor has a Domino. He let me use it one day and it was like cheating. With that thing I was able to assemble cabinet doors in no time and it was perfect. He is a pro, I am not, so there is no way I can justify $1000 for that much ease of use. I thought of the Mortise Pal as a poor mans Domino. The idea that he can just reach into his box of assorted floating tenons that match adjustments on the machine let me to want something close in ready made tenons. Of course just that box of tenons cost him $200! I'll live.

I understand, the Domino looks like a really great tool. I think there is hope, once Festools's patent expires, my guess is that cheaper alternatives will emerge.

Uhh... Dean.

Did you consider that you could use a shorter Mortise Pal template once, then slide it down and complete the mortise to get the exact length you desire?

It would only take a few seconds to move it to a second mark to get a 2" Mortise.

Just sayin'

M
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Hi Mike,

Yea, I did think of that, but I am new to M&T and my first project here has 28 I have to cut and I know I would mess something up with that strategy! Cutting the tenon stock was much easier. Again, forgive my moment of weakness and whinyness! I'm all set.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Karavite View Post
    Alas, if I could delete this I would. I cut down the Lee Valley tenons on the table say then rounded off with a block plane in about a minute. Fits great.
    And there you go. I make tenon stock long in minutes and cut it to length as I need it. Way to go.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I made the first batch on the table saw and then rounded the corners on the router table. I made them 3 feet long and now have all the stock I need.

The last ones I made I did you the planer and again I made them in 3 foot lengths.

It really doesn't take very long at all the first time and the second time is even faster. I guess if you look at your time and pay yourself by the hour, how many hours of making tenons would it take to make the $800 difference in cost of the MP and Domino?

You are right Bill. It was even easier to narrow the Lee Valleys. I was just suffering from the delayed gratification syndrome + envy of my neighbor's Domino. My project turned out to need 68 mortises and I was itching to get to assembly. Let me tell you, the Mortise Pal rocked. Sure, the Domino would have been faster and more foolproof...