Hello,

My new Porter-Cable FN250C 16 gauge finish nailer came with a 1/4 inch connector, and it seems to be working fine with a 1/4 inch hose, but I know that many of you probably use a 3/8 inch hose for nail guns. I’m wondering whether it would work even better with a 3/8 hose.

The user manual that came with the nail gun doesn’t mention anything about using a 3/8 inch hose, BUT when I go online to Porter-Cable and look at the manual for the model FN250B (the previous version of this gun), it says the following:

The tool is equipped with a 1/4" male “quick connector”. A 3/8" male “quick connector” is available from Porter-Cable and may be used in situations where a 1/4" supply line is not available. A 3/8" supply line (and fittings) are required for maximum tool performance.

Based on this, it seems to suggest that using a 3/8 inch hose would provide the best performance.

What’s your opinion? Would I be better off with a 3/8 inch setup? Would I shoot more nails between compressor recycles? Could I damage the compressor with a 3/8 inch hose? Does it matter which size hose I use?

Thanks,
Louis